What to do with used wood chews

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
My chins seem to only like to chew the bark of wafers that I got from Ronda. I don't want them to go to waste but they are really staking up. I thought I could drill holes in them and make a hanging toy. I was wondering if any of you have some other ideas I can do with them. Also, is there another way to flavor (non-toxic) the wood besides using Kool-Aid.

Most chins only eat the bark off of all the wood pieces and leave the rest.My guys really like to sharpen one end like a spear and throw them out of the cage for me to step on!LOL If you can find a way to get the little buggers to stop being wasteful, sell your tip.You'll make a fortune off of the rest of us!

drill holes, run them on a string, and make a necklace. tell people that your chin-children made it for you! :rofl:

Along those lines of ChinnyMoms comment..drill holes in them, string them on some heavy duty fishing line or string and use this Christmas as tree decorations.

Also, is there another way to flavor (non-toxic) the wood besides using Kool-Aid.
You can use sugar free fruit juices - just make sure you oven bake them good or they will grow fuzzies.

I leave mine in there until they eat the whole thing. I'm mean like that.

it burns well and my dad says apple wood smells very good when burning. i know it smells pretty yummy when i am baking it for them!

If I think about it, I save the gnawed bits for the grill. Usually I don't think about it, and they just get pitched over our fence, into the woods with the rest of the poops & wasted hay.

You can use sugar free fruit juices - just make sure you oven bake them good or they will grow fuzzies.

I leave mine in there until they eat the whole thing. I'm mean like that.

Yeah, I do this a bit too. I leave it in there for a long while. I also take them and switch around the partially chewed bits onto new toys or in different layers to try to trick them into being excited over the same wood done differently.

I just put them in a box to burn in the winter as we have a fireplace. Makes great kindling!

It's true, you always see "apple chips" for sale for people to use in grills.

Personally, I throw them in the mice's cage and let them finish them off. If I leave them too long in the chins' cages, they just pee on them or throw them out..

Lately I've been buying thinner wood sticks because I don't see the point in buying thick sticks that are only going to be "peeled" and then tossed. But that also means I can't drill holes and make them into toys.

Huh, my thicker ones last longer, incidentally. I've got a thick stick of apple wood in my cage atm that's been there for like a month and still good to go.

Thank you so much for the great suggestion. I think I will try making hanging toys our of the sticks and wafers and see if that works. Unfortunately, I don't have any other animals that would use them...our rabbit is housed at a friends barn. Perhaps if the hanging toy does not work I can take them to the rabbit. We also have a wood burning stove and duh I never thought about using them as kindling...good idea.

Back