What to do/vacation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5melrose5

Hi, my family is all geared up to go away for 3 days to a week,but I don't know what to do with my chin? His cage is way too big to move,so he cannot come with us. I asked some family/friends and they said they would come check/feed him,check on the A/C but were not comfortable letting him out of the cage daily. Would it scar him for life if he did not get out for a few days? I don't think I am near any exotic pet kennals etc. I am in BC, does anyone in BC take in chins? for vacations? Let me know,maybe we are near you.Thanks. Mel.

It won't scar him for life to be in his cage for a few days ,, he will be fine. :) When my SIL watches our chins she does not let them out. She feeds/waters and thats it. We were gone for almost a week back in March and everyone was fine. I would worry more if she tried to let them out with her not having much chin experience beyond the ones at my house.

Last summer our chin had to be without playtime for almost 2 weeks while we were gone on vacation. We just got back from a week's vacation, and Tinkerbell did fine without getting out of cage time, but was extremely happy to have us back and have her freedom again. I have a chinspin in her cage which lets her get some exercise, especially when we're gone and she doesn't have the opportunity to have play time.

Chins do not have to have playtime if they have a wheel/saucer and some toys to keep them busy. Oh, yeah. Someone needs to check on them at least once a day. Your babies will be fine while you are gone.

Like other have stated, your chin will be fine without playtime while you are gone. It could be more stressful for her/him to have an unfamiliar person trying to get them out of the cage for playtime anyways.
Just have someone you trust to come over and give them fresh food, hay and water daily and check on the a/c and they should be fine. Also make sure they have a number to reach you at in case they have any questions.

vacation

It won't scar him for life to be in his cage for a few days ,, he will be fine. :) When my SIL watches our chins she does not let them out. She feeds/waters and thats it. We were gone for almost a week back in March and everyone was fine. I would worry more if she tried to let them out with her not having much chin experience beyond the ones at my house.

Very good point! My friends are not experienced at all.

vacation

Last summer our chin had to be without playtime for almost 2 weeks while we were gone on vacation. We just got back from a week's vacation, and Tinkerbell did fine without getting out of cage time, but was extremely happy to have us back and have her freedom again. I have a chinspin in her cage which lets her get some exercise, especially when we're gone and she doesn't have the opportunity to have play time.

That is so good to hear! I am not so worried now.We will be gone a week at the most.

What part of BC are you in? We use a professional petsitter who comes to the house. She's absolutely wonderful with the chins and she checks up on the house in general while she's there. It's great because the girls stay in their environment and are way less stressed.

Her name is Kristin and here is her website: www.kittykompany.com

If she's not in your area, she may have recommendations for someone who is.

vacation

What part of BC are you in? We use a professional petsitter who comes to the house. She's absolutely wonderful with the chins and she checks up on the house in general while she's there. It's great because the girls stay in their environment and are way less stressed.

Her name is Kristin and here is her website: www.kittykompany.com

If she's not in your area, she may have recommendations for someone who is.
I am in Salmon Arm, so she is too far away,but its good to know that there are people doing this sort of thing!

Back