What mutation is my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsGSnak

SgtPepper
Hello.

I recently bought a chinchilla and I'm already in love!
Found out he's a male, and was wondering if you could help me out finding what mutation he is. I've been reading, and I think it's something like a Heterozygous Ebony or a Charcoal. The color is like this all over him. Even his belly. Here's a picture:
0g1p.jpg

Also, do you nootice that small hole in his ear? He already had it. My best guess is that his brothers and sisters did it to him while fighting over milk. Will it ever heal, or will the ear be pierced forever?

Thank you for your answers :)

Congrats on your new chin. Since he is the same color all over, he is an ebony. :))

The hole in is ear most likely will always be there.

Looks like a light ebony to me. The terms hetero and homo ebony are not accurate. Ebony is an accumulative gene so there isn't a simple 1 gene(hetero) or 2 genes(homo) combo. I was told hetero and homo ebony should only be used for beige and ebony combined mutations.

Ears don't grow new tissue well so tears and holes are usually permanent.

Do you mind me asking how old he is? I know it has nothing to do with your post but he looks awfully young in this pic to be away from his mother. Maybe it's an old photo.

And yes, he is an ebony. Hole is permanent. Could have happened during littering, caught on cage or during play or tussle with littermate. It's endearing.

Last edited:
Back