What does nose touching mean?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vcchinchilla

So my two chins have finish the fur pulling and the "I'm taller then you and my teeth is showing more"
The standing kacking at each other
Now they are nose touching like sniffing each other?
Is that a good sign?
There's no hostile sounds before during or after this nose touching thing

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Nose touching is a greeting.
It's the way chins use to get each other's scent and determine if they know each other. It's also a very telling aspect of chin behavior. When working out an introduction, the very first nose to nose meeting is incredibly important. It's like the chins are sizing each other up. If the nose touching goes well (deep and long with no aggression) then we know a potential pairing is on the way.

Sounds good to me. Nose Touching is usually a greeting - like saying "Hi" if there is no spitting with it. My chinnies often touch noses with me to say hello.

When i open the door to my little girl Tinkerbell's cage, she comes over and wants an;) "eskimo kiss" before anything else! I've taken it as a good sign, as its usually followed by the meerkat stance, waiting for a chin/tummy tickle

Sounds like they're on their way to being bonded, good news!

This got me wondering though, I wonder for how long a chin will "remember" the scent of a chin they were once bonded with? Like a mother to a daughter that is now in a separate cage, or another set of chins who never fought but had to be separated for a health issue. If you brought the pair together so that they could touch noses but were still in separate cages, would they remember each other?

It sounds good to me. When I introduced Bam bam to Tum Tum, it was minor knacking noises and nose touching and a lot of sniffing. lol no attacking but kinda wanted to get an idea of the stranger. hehe

Back