What do you say to your chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

I have tried to find this information on a thread here, but I can't.

It's kind of an odd question...
But here it is:

When you first get your chin, I know to get your chin comfortable with you, you sit in front of their cage and talk quietly to them.

What kinds of things do you talk about? What do you say to them?
I am just curious as to what people say when talking to their chins for the first or for one of the first times.

I sing. Sometimes I ask about their lives and tell them its ok. I talk about all of the cool stuff I'm going to spoil them with and ask rhetorical questions about "how could anyone have given you up?" But mostly I sing.

I don't spend much time sitting and talking to them at a time, but I'll walk by and check and make sure they have enough hay, I often ask permission to give scritches (even with the chin that I've had for 6 months). I'll sort of coo at them and things like that.

when Rhino first came home i just nattered away about absolutely nothing, lol. doesn't matter what you say to them, it's how you say it (calmly and quietly) and the fact that they are getting used to you.

i tell ruby about my day everyday. and i tell her a stories about how shes going to meet a prince chin one day and be happy! i tell her the weirdest things. if she could talk, she'd probably tell me how stupid i was.

I love that you thought to ask this question, Rebecca, :)

With mine, I talked to them in baby voices, like I do when I see puppies/human babies/etc. I did so softly. They seemed to like it.

I think for me the main thing was making sure they were getting acclimated to all of the noises in the house--t.v., us talking, my dog barking, etc. Cause then they can sort of put it all together in their own time, ya know? :cute:

I talk to myself, most of the time I'm down with the chins. I probably sound like a lunatic, and anyone watching me (or listening in) would probably think there's someone else there just listening to me go on and on. Like today, for instance, I actually remember what I was saying - something like "so today I went to the bank, and there was this idiot in front of me who couldn't decide if she wanted to deposit or withdraw. Well, she wanted both - to deposit $50 but withdraw $100. Ok, so why not just withdraw $50? No, she wanted to deposit the $50 first and then withdraw $100... but just withdrawing $50 would accomplish the same thing. She couldn't understand. Isn't that odd? So what do you think? Oh, well you don't have to answer, I know you don't care about stuff like this...but maybe treats you care about. Oh, well I was telling that one adoptive home that I haven't had time to make the treats yet, and I know you all are dying for me to put some together for you, but you know, it's finals week and that will just have to wait for next week, cause I haven't even made Amber's shelves for her visit on Monday..." and on and on and on. Lol. It's just a one-sided conversation, where I'm just yammering away for hours as if they really understand.... but I swear some of them listen... I think the best part is that I've gotten into the habit of telling them I'm sorry the shop vac is so loud on days when I spend a lot of time using it and less time talking *shakes head, laughs*

Last edited:
I ask them what kind of goodies they want today, as I dish out the rosehips,apple sticks or whatever is in hand. If one tries to take a nibble I call them my little brat! (Lovingly of course) They have their own room, and small TV. I often find myself spending a lot of time in there. I hate washing dishes, doing laundry, but LOVE cleaning cages!

I ask them what kind of goodies they want today, as I dish out the rosehips,apple sticks or whatever is in hand. If one tries to take a nibble I call them my little brat! (Lovingly of course) They have their own room, and small TV. I often find myself spending a lot of time in there. I hate washing dishes, doing laundry, but LOVE cleaning cages!

Oddly enough, so do I. Household chores and cleaning cages/restocking hay/checking water bottles are arguably equally mundane, but somehow chin related chores are so much more enjoyable.

When my hedgehog is being good/calm/is scared I always softly say "that's my boy..." and I found that Hammie started responding positively to those words. I'll bet chins respond really well to the way we'd talk to calm a baby down, considering their hearing range.

If one tries to take a nibble I call them my little brat!

lol! Rhino's nickname is 'Bratty Boy', whenever he's doing something he's not supposed to. Like getting up on the desk and sneaking behind my picture frames, tracking dust all over (and usually right after i've dusted the desk too!).

Thanks for all of the responses!
Do you guys keep your A/C on all the time in the room that your chins are in?

At the moment, my AC is on all the time. I have temp/humidity gauges in every room and check Accuweather every morning to determine which setting I should use.

lol! Rhino's nickname is 'Bratty Boy', whenever he's doing something he's not supposed to. Like getting up on the desk and sneaking behind my picture frames, tracking dust all over (and usually right after i've dusted the desk too!).

Ha! Nixi's "bad" nickname is Trouble and Buddha's is Brat. I had a zen rock garden on my coffee table which Buddha discovered and decided was his own personal dust bath. He was VERY proud of himself and his mess. When he realized I was mad, he stole one of the more porous stones and took off with it in his mouth. Needless to say, the rock garden has since been moved. *lol*

I talk to all my animals like people, my son always makes comments about it. At night before I go to bed I will tell them be good girls and boys and I will see you in the morning.

I do not leave my a/c on all the time. At night so far it has been pretty cool.

Do you guys keep your A/C on all the time in the room that your chins are in?

Yes, I do. I have a temperature setting that I keep at 67 degrees. It basically runs and then shuts off.

As far as what I say to my chins: I usually talk to them in a cute voice while calling them their little nicknames.. lol. My boyfriend says that if I talk to my kids like that he will kill me. LOL. Sometimes, I will ask them about their day. We spend lots of time together in the playpen where they crawl all over me..

haha its so interesting reading everyones replies! I talk to mine about absolutely anything, I tell my one boy how much of a fatty he is getting hha..Tell them their cute, be good, goodnight, etc :p

Okay, thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I should keep it on all the time or not because I don't have a thermometer or thermostat or anything in my room that says the temperature. And with the A/C in my room, it does not say what temperature it is, so I can't tell for sure.

Does any one have this A/C? It's the Friedrich Quietmaster...

Back