What are the best treats to give them?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLChinnies13

I want to have quite a variety in options for my chinchillas so they don't get bored with just the same treat all the time.

The best treats are prepared wood sticks such as apple, pear wood, etc. You could also offer a rosehip, even a plain cheerio or half a shredded wheat sparingly, meaning no more than 1 or half of one a few times a week. Chins will not get bored if they don't get a treat, sometimes too many treats can cause other issues such as bloat. You shouldn't give more than 1 treat a day for sure.

Chins are suppose to have a VERY bland diet. Quality pellets and timothy hay are a must. Treats should be severely limited unless it is chew sticks. There aren't many acceptable treats since the diet is to be bland. Rose hips, spoon sized shredded wheat (not frosted) and plain cheerios are acceptable.

Yes I do know about their bland diet. I mean when I do give them a treat I want to have a different one for them each time. Maybe I am thinking too humanlike or something. Just anything that they will enjoy each time when they do get one.

I give my chin extra twigs, a single rose hip, or a pinch of rolled oats once or twice a week. I also give half a dandelion, alfalfa hay cube, or a "cookie" every few weeks as a special treat. I made the "cookie" mostly out of food and hay, with some treats mixed inside. She doesn't really care for them though.

I also use her dust bath as a treat/reward. Instead of giving it to her, I go through out little "treat" routine but instead of a rose hip, she gets her dust.

I give my chins a selection of treats: apple sticks, willow balls, dried dandelion leaves, dried rose petals, rosehips and bran flakes. I give them half a shreaded wheat each at bed time so I don't feel bad for turning off the light and ignoring them for the rest of the night :p

My chins go crazy for cottonwood, so I use that as their very special treat, and daily they'll get an apple, pear, willow, etc. twig.

Back