Wet chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhbf91

Hi, a couple of months ago I noticed that my chinchilla had a wet chin, I took her to the vet and a couple of her back teeth had overgrown so the vet filed them down and her chin dried up and she went back to normal.
I checked on her this morning and her chin is soaking wet again, she's drinking quite a lot and will only eat raisins as they are soft.
Could this be teeth problems again after they were only filed down a couple of months ago?
My vet is closed tomorrow for New Years so I won't be able to get there until Friday, is there anything I can do in the meantime.
Thanks

Are you saying her diet only consists of raisins? o_O
They really aren't good for chins at all, and really shouldn't have more than one a day.

You can grind pellets for her.
Maybe this site will help.

I hope she gets well soon!

No she normally has pellets, I meant that I have given her a few raisins because they are easy for her to chew. I thought it was better than not giving her anything, she won't eat the pellets at the minute because they are too hard.
I've crushed some pellets up and I'm going to try her with them now.
Her mouth and hands are soaking wet and I just can't understand why this is happening again when she only had her teeth filed recently.
Thanks for the reply.
She has a runny nose too,which didn't happen before

Oh wow, poor girl. :( fingers crossed that she'll eat some crushed up pellets!
I hope the appointment goes well on Friday. Keep us updated.

Its not uncommon with malo chins to need frequent filings and re-filings, some times its every 2-3 weeks. You need to syringe feed the chin at least 45ml of soft feed every day broke up into several feedings-critical care by oxbow is your best choice, ground up pellets soaked in water until a milkshake consistancy is OK but most chins do not dig it.

Back