Weight Progress

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
Last week I posted a thread and questions about my new Chins being under weight. I wanted to update you with their progress.

Patagonia was 426 g and now is 430 g

The perplexing thing is that Chili was 478 g last wk and now is 459 g. I really don't think that I got an accurate weight last week because he is eating well (actually more than before) and I have been using LifeLine. They also get plenty of hay and Chinnie Salad 3 times a week. It is hard for me to believe that Chilie lost 20 g because of what I stated above plus he actually feels like he filled out some. So I guess I will go with he probably gained a little and see what he weighs next week.

What is typical for weight gain per wk when Chins have been previously undernourished?

It takes time to gain weight properly. Unless the chinchillas were nothing but skin and bone, a steady increase of a few grams a week is what you should be looking for. The difference probably showed up because he may have had a full stomach and/or bladder on the first weighing. He may have had an empty tummy/bladder on the second weighing. did you weigh them at the same time of day as the first weighing?

I had not even thought about the difference in weight being do to empty vs full stomach/bladder. I weighed them about 4 hrs earlier than the time before (and it was late afternoon as opposed to 8pm at night). So maybe that is what it is due to...I hope so. Glad to know that the 4 g weight gain on Patagonia is what I should expect...means we are on the right track. Wish I had gotten the same results on Chili maybe next wk I will see him gaining. I would not say that these guys are skin and bones just a little thin and I can feel ribs and spine. As I said with the first post they both feel as they have put on a little flesh. I was most concerned about Patagonia so I am glad he is showing progress. I guess slow and steady is the motto here.

yes slow and steady it is and remember to weight the same time each day. When I am concerned I weight every day or at least every other day.

I will start weighing at the same time and it would be a good idea to weigh Chili every other day since I noticed a weight drop...that way I can tell if it is trend or not. Will do that for Patagonia too.

Back