Weight Issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
I rescued 2 Chins 1 wk ago and I have concerns about their weight. They are eating pellets, hay, and occasional supplements. There droppings are the correct size, color, and amount. I switched them from the crap food they were on and their was only one day when they refused the new Mazuri. The previous owner was feeding gross bad food with corn, sunflower, and dried fruits. They were not getting hay and were getting raisins. The smallest of the 2 is more fine boned and a smaller Chin but I can feel his spine and ribs. I just got a scale today and this is what they are weighing.

Patagonia 426gm
Chile 478gm

My other Chins are
Cheech 580gm
Chong 568

I am very alarmed about Patagonia's weight and concerned about Chile. While I realize that Patagonia has a smaller body structure he really needs to put on weight.

I have great concerns about their well being...particularly after reading the recent necropsy results of the rescued Chins. I would hate to have them suffer this kind of death. I want to make sure that they are getting the nutrients they need and improve their GI health.

I obtained some Critical Care today and will be using this to add to their regular diet. I would like some help with a few questions

1. Would it be better to use LifeLine as it is meant as a supplement and not food replacer? Or should I use both?

2. What about adding Dyne?

3. I got some Blackstrap Molasses to make Critical more appealing. I could not fine reg. canned pumpkin. Can I use Organic Baby Food Squash to make it more appealing?

4. Will Chins eat Critical Care freely by itself or mixed with pellets without being hand feed? Or would it just be better to force some down the thinnest one? I really hate to put him through the trauma of doing this as he is pretty scared and flighty yet. I don't want to stress more then necessary as this may add to him not wanting to eat. I will however do this if it is the best.

5. How much weight gain is average or expected when providing food support? I know this is variable from Chin to Chin but want an idea of what to look for? How often should I weigh them during this processes?

I don't have much advice, I will wait for more experienced owners to share theirs, but I had a small chin that was hovering around 410 grams while on Tradition. I didn't feel that my chins were getting all the nutrition they could, so I switched to Manna Pro and all of mine gained weight. My small girl now stays around 480-490, and I can no longer feel her ribs or spine.

Thanks Ruby. I forgot to mention that I mix MannaPro Show with the Mazuri. They have only been on the new food for a week. I think the weight issue is due more to poor nutrition and crappy food from the previous owner then the current food I have them on.

I don't hand feed unless there is a medical issue that prevents the chinchilla from eating on their own. They can become addicted to hand feeding and will refuse normal food, this in turn can lead to overgrown teeth. I would feed a healthy diet of hay and pellets, fresh water and maybe add some loose alfalfa and wait a couple of months and re-evaluate the situation. Its best for them to gain on their own rather than trying to force them to gain. I also found CC does not put on any weight so using it as a weight gain feed will not work. Lifeline would not be a bad idea as a supplement or Tanya's, who is a member here, Essentials for Life but not 100% needed.

while i can't answer all your questions due to lack of experience, i think with the good food they are getting now their weights should increase, and i would weigh them weekly to keep close tabs on the numbers (although i know you'll probably do it more often, lol). due to not having a scale the first 2 weeks, you can't be sure if they've gained since you've had them home or not.

Ticklechin are you saying that even though they are underweight I should not be overly concerned about using Critical Care and just wait and see how they do. I did not know that hand feeding can contribute to malo. It makes sense though as they may not be eating as much of the stuff that helps wear down teeth. I can also see that Lifeline would be of more use than Critical Care because they are already getting high quality food, hay (2 kinds), etc.

I agree with Dawn. You should not force your chins to gain weight by hand feeding. Also, I would not offer any high protein/fat supplements as they can cause more harm putting strain on the body. I'd offer various organic hays, including some alfalfa, and herbs. They are great sources of nutrients that chins can completely utilize and secondary elements that help address underlying problems. Many things can cause weight loss, including a diet deficient in nutrients, stress, an enzyme deficient diet, toxins from food or infections (they interfere with fats metabolism). A diet that consists only or mainly of fractional ingredients/synthetic nutrients can lead to malfunction of absorption.

You may also consider using Herbal Weight Gain Supplement http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/remedies/appetite-weight-loss-rabbit-chinchilla.html
The supplement helps normalize digestive and liver function. It contains some bitter herbs and an impressive amount of B vitamins that trigger an appetite. The supplement also contains naturally-occurring active enzymes that improve the absorption of nutrients.

Tanya are you saying I should do the Herbal Weight Gain Supplement instead of LifeLine? One of the treats they get is ChinnieFlower Salad about every 3rd day.

These are the ingredients...Chamomile, Rosebuds and petels, hibiscus petels, rosehips, bee pollen, peppermint leaf, alfalfa leaf, and timothy hay. This is a little different than Herbal Weight Gain Supplement. Should I switch or is the Chinnie Salad good enough or can I do both and alternate? How often should they get either of them? Are you suggesting I do the Herbal Supplement instead of Lifeline?

If you have ChinnieFlower Salad and lifeline, you can use them along with organic hays for some time. If you don't notice any weight gain, you can try Herbal Weight Gain Supplement (it should be used daily). The reason I recommended this product is because it's designed to normalize liver function. Weight loss can indicate liver imbalance in chinchillas.
I think you should offer some organic alfalfa hay as it induces liver detoxifying enzymes.

I think you should offer some organic alfalfa hay as it induces liver detoxifying enzymes

Tanya I feeding organic alfalfa hay and organic orchard grass alternating daily. Should I just do alfalfa hay for a while?

Should I do the Lifeline daily? Should I do the Chinnie Salad daily for now?

To my previous post about hay types...I misspoke. I am feeding Timothy and Orchard grass. Duh:duh: So I need to get some Alfalfa Hay. My question about just feeding them Alfalfa for awhile still applies. I know that feeding Alfalfa hay over a period of time causes Oxalate problems in rabbits does this apply to Chins too? Sorry for adding another post I could not figure out how to edit the previous one.

I believe they are saying to "add" the organic alfalfa to the hay that you are currently feeding. My chins get Tanya's herbal organic hay mix every day.

On another note, you can only edit your previous post within 10 minutes of posting it :)).

Good feed, good hay, and clean water are the most important factors here. give them time and weigh them weekly to track their weights. They should gain weight slowly, which is the best way to go.

Yes, they are getting good feed, hay, water. I guess I just need to relax a little and let the better quality nutrition do its trick over time. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks all of you for your input and advise...it made me feel a little better about the situation.

Back