Weighing Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

How do all of you guys weigh your chinchillas? Whiskers is really small so i have to weigh her every week and i dont really know a good way to do that because she kicks to much. Thanks

Mine usually behave, but when they're being fidgety I give them the tiniest piece of a treat (an oat, bite of shreddie, etc) and they'll sit still long enough to get a good reading. I've heard other people will put a shoe box on the scale and put them in that.

some of mine are squirmy, and some not. if they get too squirmy, i will try a snack but normally if the scale is geared up, you just need one second to get the weight.

My scale came with a tray to set on top. I just put the tray in, plop the chin in it, and hold my hand over their head so they can't really see. It seems to calm them down long enough to get an accurate weight.

I've also sprinkled oats in the tray for them to eat so they stay still long enough to get a weight.

Yea i was mainly trying to find a idea for something big enough, thanks everyone

I have a large fish bowl. I put the chin inside and then put one of my baking cooling racks over the top. My scale has a tare feature to "zero" the scale after placing the fish bowl and rack on it before I put the chin in.

Anyone have any links to a good scale? I bought one from Wal Mart and it's made horribly.. its like a flat piece of glass that sits on like a thing the size of a qaurter, so a squirming chin does not work too well on a scale like that..

Last edited:
Back