WD40 and hamsters

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scrat&SweetPea

my friend Alley and her husband want to know if it's safe to use WD40 on a hamster wheel to make it stop making noise.

This should be a very simple question to figure out yourself. A toxic product that warns on the label not to be ingested used on something a pet might lick. Does it sound like a sensible idea to you?

Absolutely NOT. I always used either cooking oil or vaseline. Neither will harm the hamster if he/she decides to try a little. If YOU can't eat it, then they shouldn't, either. So WD40 is OUT!

I always use a dab of olive oil, and if I need it in a spray, I use the Pam cooking spray for non stick. Even though the hamster may not be able to reach the bolt where the wd40 is, the fumes from it would be enough to kill the hamster, the fumes from that stuff last a long time, also I would worry about it dripping.

my friend Alley and her husband want to know if it's safe to use WD40 on a hamster wheel to make it stop making noise.

I used my tube of medicated chapstick when I was in college... because that's what I had. =D Worked so well, I only had to re-treat the wheel once a year or so.

Nancy i was just asking i've never used WD40 so i wasn't sure you don't need to be a uptight about it it's a Q.

Nancy i was just asking i've never used WD40 so i wasn't sure you don't need to be a uptight about it it's a Q.

She wasn't uptight, she was frustrated. Amanda! Some things don't NEED To be asked, like, should I step in front of a moving car? What do you think about me jumping off a 400 foot cliff into a valley of rocks? Do you think it's okay to use a toxic substance that says right on the can "toxic to humans and animals if ingested?"

Why would you even need to ask for pete sake?

I'm not uptight at all Amanda. Just pointing out that sometimes things can be easily figured out on your own by anyone who can read.

I guess it's too difficult to look these things up - it's not like the info is available anywhere .... oh wait .........

2 – Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview:
DANGER! Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be mildly irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing.
Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The liquid contents are an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.
Chronic Effects: None expected.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.

That's from the WD40 data sheet readily available on the WD40 site. :)

Last edited:
I always use a dab of olive oil, and if I need it in a spray, I use the Pam cooking spray for non stick. Even though the hamster may not be able to reach the bolt where the wd40 is, the fumes from it would be enough to kill the hamster, the fumes from that stuff last a long time, also I would worry about it dripping.

same here, olive oil or the knock off unflavored pam

I guess it's ok to use if you don't care about the well-being of your hamster. Everyone has cooking oil on hand. I would also use cooking oil or pam.

I always used a dab of vegetable oil on mine. Worked like a charm and was not dangerous to the hamster.

i didn't want to know if it was bad i knew it was bad my friends wanted me to ask i was just asking. don't bite my head off. on wonder i don't post that much on here anymore. ppl jump on me everytime i post.

Well, you would assume it's common sense not to use something that's visibly toxic. I mean, it's one thing to ask about something like tea tree oil, but doesn't WD40 have skulls and cross bones on it? Isn't that a slight tip off?

i didn't want to know if it was bad i knew it was bad my friends wanted me to ask i was just asking. don't bite my head off. on wonder i don't post that much on here anymore. ppl jump on me everytime i post.

:err:

If you know it was bad then why waste time asking on a forum? Why didn't you just tell your friend "hey it's not good to use on the wheel it can kill them".

Amanda - Nobody bit your head off, but could you please use some common sense once in a while? All you or they had to do was look on the label. That's what labels are for.

And as Alexis said, if you already KNEW that it was poison, why would you even bother asking?

*sigh* and this is why people on the forum get frustrated with answering pointless questions :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back