Water bowl to water bottle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

We decided that after much spilling and jumping into a bowl of water that purchasing a water bottle for Fen's cage would be a smarter idea. The only problem is that Fen doesn't know that water comes from that odd piece of metal jammed in between the bars of his cage. He is too shy to come near us in the cage to show him what it is so we're not really sure what to do.

How do we make the change from water bowl to water bottle?

My chin was raised on a watering system and my breeder told me he would have to learn to drink from a conventional water bottle. He recommended putting the bottle tip next to the food bowl, and squishing a raisin, goji berry, etc around the outside of the tip. He should be able to smell that and investigate. :) I would make sure not to get the fruit on the bearing though...don't want to ruin it's functionality by getting something lodged in there. I hope it goes well.

Last edited:
I recently just made the same switch with Gary. Only problem I had, the bottle seemed to be a little defective and doesn't like to put out much water.. but the raisin did the trick. Now I just need to get a new water bottle, Gary really only will drink from it if I squeeze it so water drips out.

I recently just made the same switch with Gary. Only problem I had, the bottle seemed to be a little defective and doesn't like to put out much water.. but the raisin did the trick. Now I just need to get a new water bottle, Gary really only will drink from it if I squeeze it so water drips out.

Remember, chinchillas can't have fruit! Raisins and berries are unnecessary and unhealthy for the chinchillas. It's better to give cleaned and treated sticks, plain cheerios, or small amounts of shredded wheat as a treat. :D

Back