Washing Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may sound strange in this day and age....

Is it possible to hand wash the fleece liners instead of putting them in the machine and hang them to dry? My parents don't like me putting it in there machine (they are on there last leg ie little bits of hay concern and they think its gross). So I have to always make a special trip to the laundry mat for the fleece. I honestly don't think I've ever hand washed anything before so I don't know if it works as well as a machine and therefore should be used on them...or if I could just wash them another way at my apartment. If anyone can help out my ignorance, I would be quiet thankful.

It's actually not that hard to do handwash. If you are only doing a couple at a time that is. I bought a handboard [Those things they use to wash clothes with before they made washers] But before that I use to fill up the sink with some kind of soap usually something like dish detergent and let them soak. Hot water is best.

Let them soak until the water is luke warm and take them out, draining the sink. Then put some soap onto the liners and scrunch them up, rub them together. Make sure to run some warm-hot water over it as you do it until you get everything out, including the soap.

Oh yea I always use the vingegar, also if your kids play sports and the lingering odor is on their clothes, you can throw the vinegar in the wash with their sports clothes. I also use vinegar to wash their wooden ledges, and litter pans too. I wash down the pans with it. The smell evaporates and makes it smell fresh.

How do you use the vinegar to wash the wood ledges? Do you rinse it with anything in case they chew or is vinegar harmless for them? My husband built our cage and the frame of the whole cage and of the levels is wood. They peed along the ledge (they usually go to the bottom but not this time). There is a slight smell I want to get rid of. I'm planning on putting fleece now around the bottoms where they pee but I'd like to freshen up what's already been peed on.

Back