Warning to NJ breeders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a person contacts you about a friend who is looking for chins and that friend owns a barber shop (Name is Daryl) do not bother with him unlrdd you are registered (your ranch) with the state of NJ. I just finished talking to him , trying to explain the proper care of chins. He had chins before (don't know what happened to them) and when I try to find out what he feed them, he got real defensive. He claims he 'knows it all' - Then he said he wanted the chins to 'have papers' - registered with the state. I told him that as a hobby breeder I didn't have to registered. As far as I know only pet stores have to do that and most pet stores in the state don't bother. He then said he was going to report me to the state. So now I have to wait and see what happens. Don't want anyone else to have to go thru this

He's an idiot. We only need to register if we wholesale, and not with NJ. And never individual chinchillas.

Shouts is right. Read the FAQ regarding USDA policy. I made sure to make an FAQ after the last bunch of threats were thrown at someone. He's totally wrong.

wew thank GOD I was afraid I was wrong I have been VERY upset since I talked to him (crying). All I thought is what if the state being the state decided I was in the wrong and they took my chins I would have been hysterical (sP??) -

Chill out, your chillas are safe!
Seems weird that he went from wanting chillas from you straight to wanting to report you. What's up with that? Did you guys argue about something? Or is he just a nut-job?

He had told me he had chins before and that he knew how to care for them and that he had supplies - I asked what he had fed his chins and then he got defensive. Then he asked if I had the 'state papers' for my chin kits. I said no, I didn't need them since I was a hobby breeder and not a pet store. He said yes I did, and I shouldn't be raising, selling chin without them and that he wanted chins 'with the state papers' He then told me he was going to report me because I didn't have them (he acted as if it was horrible that I didn't)

I don't know anything about breeding and regulations, but I think he was just being rude and demanding. Maybe he was trying to get you to give him a free chin if he was thinking he was scaring you? I don't know...people are weird. Obviously, he has no clue about chins and maybe other breeders caught on to this and won't let him adopt and he is trying to get one any way he can.

Back