Warning about cage wire spacing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTChin

defender of all animals
I have some wire cages that I got from a friend. I believe they are handmade or were made for her. Yesterday morning I found one of my chins hanging on the inside, her foot stuck through the wire of the door. I don't know how long she had been there but I got her out immediately and thankfully she was still alive...although weak with a open foot wound. We went to the vet and she got her foot wrapped and sent home on antibiotics and pain meds. She'll be o.k.

After I got home I went and looked at the cage. I don't know whyI never noticed before but all the cages had one inch by 1/2 inch wire through out except for this one ON THE DOOR. It was 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch! She must of been bouncing around the cage when her foot got caught as the door is higher up than the bottom. If the door was 1 inch by 1/2 inch wire I believe she could of got her foot out. I think that 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch is preferred for them to walk on but shouldn't be on the sides.

I post this because I did a search on here and I saw some homemade cages that looked like they had 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spacing on the sides. It could of been just a freak accident but I won't take chances anymore.

I don't like using 1/2"x1/2" for anything but floors, but it's because it's so expensive. Chins find a way to get caught if there is any way to get caught...poor little thing. The chinnie will be alright...that does sound like a real freak occurrence. About five years ago I had a chin get a leg caught between the door and the door opening...I'd never had anything like that happen before that and haven't had it happen since.

Chinchillas do have a way of getting themselves into trouble...unlike any other rodent I have owned over the years. The most devastating incident for me was when an 8 week old baby somehow got caught between a wood house and a low shelf. I imagine the mom or another baby just happened to push the house as he was standing near the shelf and it pushed against his neck. I so hate those moments :(

Back