Want to rescue an outdoor chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Beee

Ollie<3
I seen this post on craigslist saying that they have a chinchilla that has been out doors for most of his life, and that he needs more attention, he (or she they dont know the sex of the chin, crazy right?) is 3 years old. Theyre asking 250 for him which is kind of crazy seeing as how I dont know if this chin is healthy. I really want this little guy though! I feel so bad for him, but i already have another chin and don't want to jeopardize his health. I have a ferret nation and would separate the top and bottom half of the cage. Do you think I should do it? I asked the owner and they said the chinchilla is completely healthy, but what if he has Malo? I'm skeptical but REALLY want to save the poor guy... Your opinions please? Looks like the little chinny needs help in this tough situation. Here is the craigslist post.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pet/2881260361.html

Thanks!

I would be extremely skeptical. If the person knows so little about chins that they are storing one outside... especially in CA (that's what I'm assuming?) I question how well they have been caring for him in other ways. It is extremely odd they do not even know his/her gender. Also, look at the water bottle in the pic. What's the yellow like... cloud, in it? His/her fur also doesn't look like it's in the best of shape to me. If you do decide to rescue this chin I would make sure that you meet the chin first, maybe even get a vet to look at it before you give them the full agreed on price. I would also talk them waaaay down in price. $250 is too much for even a standard with a pedigree that is show quality. What does the chin come with? Nothing I'd assume.

Agreed, I thought his/hers fur looked a little off, this owner claims that because they live 5 blocks from the beach and has a huge back yard to look at, the chinny has a "lavish life" as they put it. It looks like the cage is a bit messy, and - like you said, the water bottle looks like it has gunk in it, i just feel so bad for the poor thing... it rained just last week, did it get wet?

Also, the owner said there were 2 others, but a raccoon attacked them?... idk this whole thing sounds fishy.
This is **** near animal cruelty if you ask me...

You can never guarantee the health of a chin. I agree the chin needs a better home. It's too hot in so cal for an animal to be outside. If you decide to adopt him/her it will need to be quarantined away from your current chin for 30 days.

It's up to you if you decide to adopt.

Aww, poor baby. =( The water bottle looks disgusting. I can't imagine how that thing survived three years outside. Some people....should be shot. I hope you do take him.

$250 is too much for even a standard with a pedigree that is show quality

Obviously you have never bought a breeding chinchilla. People pay that and then some for an animal that they want for their herd.

As to whether to adopt it or not, based on whether it has or will have malo, that should not be your deciding factor. The chin you have now could develop malo at any time. That chin actually looks fine other than desperately needing a dust bath. I highly doubt he will take less than what he's asking. People like that are looking to turn a buck. You can give it a shot, but if you really want the chin, you may just have cough up the $250.00.

A word to the wise - you can't save the world. If you are going to surf Craigslist looking for chins, you are going to find animals in much worse shape than this. Unless you have money to buy them all, it's better to stay off of CL. It's a harsh thing accept, but I would lose my mind if I spent too much time looking through the pet section CL. People are just too stupid to live.

It sounds like you want to help out this little guy, and that is a decision only you can make. You could always wait to make your final decision until you meet the chin and the owner and learn more about what this chin has been through. You would then adopt this chin with no guarantees on his health, just like any animal on craigslist.

Obviously you have never bought a breeding chinchilla. People pay that and then some for an animal that they want for their herd.

I guess I just have never seen those prices. I have seen people here advertise ones that are show quality for far less. But yes, I guess some people will pay anything especially if they fall in love with the animal.

There's a petstore here asking 179.99 for a standard that looks to be over a year old. They have the poor guy in an aquarium with only a plastic igloo, water bottle and food dish. Which is of course far better conditions than many on CL I am sure.

Personally I would not pay $250 because with that price you could potentially give three chinchillas or more forever homes. No one can afford to help them all.

Personally I would not pay $250 because with that price you could potentially give three chinchillas or more forever homes. No one can afford to help them all.

I paid petsmart well over $600 for Shelly and her supplies. I would do it again for in a heartbeat.

I guess I just have never seen those prices. I have seen people here advertise ones that are show quality for far less. But yes, I guess some people will pay anything especially if they fall in love with the animal.

A fur chewing, drooling, maloccluding, 2 legged, no tailed, one eyed, no whiskered chin is "show quality." ALL chins are "show quality." Show quality gets thrown around as though it MEANS something. It doesn't. Any and every chin in the world can be shown if the owner wants to show it. It doesn't mean they are going to place. Show PROVEN, with ribbons and placings is what counts when you throw the word show in there.

$250 actually isn't too bad for Craigslist. I've seen them list them around here for $300+ trying to recoup every cent they spent on their unwanted pet. They always say something like "I'm asking $400 because I spent over $600 four months ago". And they are always pet quality looking standards in plastic filled cages with crap food. A typical PetSmart bundle. An animal is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

$250 actually isn't too bad for Craigslist. I've seen them list them around here for $300+ trying to recoup every cent they spent on their unwanted pet. They always say something like "I'm asking $400 because I spent over $600 four months ago". And they are always pet quality looking standards in plastic filled cages with crap food. A typical PetSmart bundle. An animal is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it.

Ain't that the truth. There's a standard listed in our area with a ferret nation and a lot of plastic items in it... they want like $450 I believe, because they "spent over $1000 a few months ago."

Show PROVEN, with ribbons and placings is what counts when you throw the word show in there.

Yeah, and even then a 3rd place ribbon doesn't really mean too much. I didn't know until I went to shows how the placing goes. For those who don't know a 3rd place could still mean the chin has 20 or whatever chins ahead of him in placing

A word to the wise - you can't save the world. If you are going to surf Craigslist looking for chins, you are going to find animals in much worse shape than this. Unless you have money to buy them all, it's better to stay off of CL. It's a harsh thing accept, but I would lose my mind if I spent too much time looking through the pet section CL. People are just too stupid to live.

Love this quote, very wise:)

Yep, I learned this a long time ago. I stay off Craigslist because it depresses me most of the time. Although I did get Chichi off CL and paid $50 for her and $50 for her cage. I ended up getting the "Three for one" deal though because she was preggers!! :D So yay me and my good buys!

Back