Vets Advice vs EXPERIENCED owners advice?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh. I've written 2 posts and had them lost in the internets. I give up! grrr.

I hope I haven't given people the wrong impression that all vets are duds b/c I certainly don't think that at all. I wish I had access to a more chin savvy vet in this town but there doesn't seem to be one and I envy those who do have access to one.

I don't have a problem paying for vet services IF they can help my chin get well but I absolutely hate paying to see a professional of any sort and getting misdiagnosis, wrong amount of Critical Care to be given as well as a know-it-all attitude. To add insult to injury, when I was leaving the office I was so rattled that I dropped a darn good water bottle and it broke so off to the pet shop to replace it I had to go. All in all the three times I've seen this particular vet has been pretty disappointing.

Good news though, I have heard of a decent vet the next town over which is about a 45 minute drive. I don't think he is an exotic vet but apparently he does see quite a few chinchillas and rabbits and other small animals too so I think I will be doing the drive and taking my chins there if need be. If he calls them "little chinchas" though I'm going to pull my hair out.

I'm not one to rush off to the vet or doctor for that matter and do try to treat as many issues as I can at home. There is a lot of good alternative medicine out there that works great and it isn't expensive and it isn't hard on your body and you feel good knowing that you aren't so reliant on the doctor. I can't remember the last time I've been on antibiotics and my son who is almost fourteen has never been on them b/c all those sniffles, sore throats and earaches etc. were dealt with at home with very good results.

I recently heard this analogy...

Say we all had a Mustang (car) everyone is going to have different experiences, input & knowledge that could or could not help our fellow mustang enthusiast. Mechanics are still needed, you just have to find the right one you can trust & depend on. :thumbsup:

I say it depends--if you have a vet you trust then I say I would listen to the vet. I've had some poor vet experience but I have not ever received bad information the forum members I so often seek out--therefore I go to them first. If they tell me to go to the vet that's what I do.

Sometime we have a perception of who or what is knowledgeable based on their education. Case in point. When I worked OB-Gyn nothing would annoy me more than women how HAD to have a female doctor because how could a male doctor know what they were going through. A lot of these women picked a certain female doctor for their OB. Well guess what? She had never had children EVER. She didn't know a single thing about what they were going through. But they were positive she was better than the males doctors just because she was a woman. This taught me a very valuable lesson--never assume anything LOL! AND she had hands two the size of some of the male doctors. I personally would not want two hands that large going up inside of me thank you very much.

So just because we think someone with a title or education knows what they are talking about isn't always the case. I follow my heart and where it leads me and usually it works out well.

an experienced owner for sure, they know their chinchillas inside and out and specialize in them. where a vet has very limited knowledge about them and even less experience.

For example, I had a sugar glider that was acting unlike itself, concerned i called my local vet and asked if they treated sugar gliders. I was put on hold for 5 minutes and was then told that they could. I quickly brought my sugar glider to the vet where I was greeted by vet techs who had never even seen one and were wanting pictures. When the vet finally saw me he had no idea what was wrong with him and sent me home with nothing more than a recipe for leadbeaters mix. still worried about my sugar glider I found other more experienced owners online and they told me how to properly help my sugar glider, who is now doing great.

It's a different animal but the situation is the same, I was increadibly disappointed at the fact that I had been told the vet place could treat sugar gliders when the vet had only ever seen one once before. So when questions or problems arise the first thing I always do is go find other experienced owners for help and answers.

Not all vets specialize exotics. And not all vets have good chinchillas info. Stuff that is WELL KNOW to us is not by some vets due to lack of experience. I would trust a really experienced vet, but over here they're not well informed at all. It's getting better but still.... It is not a 'know-it-all' attitude at all. I think we all know a great deal about our chins and chins in general so we try to make the best out of that.

I've had a vet tell me about my het beige chinchilla 'wow, that's a rare color isn't it' :wacko: That just shows how little knowledge they can have about chins. I will definitely trust them for emergency care and injuries and that sort of things, but I will still call to other vet clinics, far from my home, in order to confirm a treatment or diagnostic.

I am with Anne-Lise when it comes to the vets her in Quebec. We do have few and far apart that are competent. Even then as Anne-Lise mentionned the know it all attitude is not taken by them. Luckily I have one that is quit good.

This being said, I first get in touch with my mentors and come here for help. There are many experienced pet owners and breeders here that can definitely help.

I think stuff like this all depends on the situation and the vet.

The first vet I saw that took care of Raider, actually listened and talked with me, and was understanding of me being wary of certain medications (taking info from here and experianced members who warn to stay away from certain medications because of appetite loss and all). I was so sad that she moved shortly after I had seen her. That office referred me to someone else, he was very rough, and asked me if my chinchilla had been vomiting.(as far as I know, chinchillas can't vomit...) And then there's a local emergency vet who sees exotics (he checked out my friend's chinchilla when he was acting weird, hypoglycemia I think was what it was, it was a while back) but he was very knowledgeable.

As other people have said, it's important for there to be open communication between vet and owner. No one likes being talked at or being treated like they know nothing. Especially when there are owners who do their best to learn about their animals and how best to care for them. I'm sure there are pet owners who come in, and really don't know much, but there are people, like many on this forum, who know a great deal. I've found that this forum is an invaluable resource. It enables people to be able to treat minor issues at home, and know what to do when bigger issues come up.
as others have said, there's a time and a place for both types of knowledge, and it all really depends on the case and the vet.

It really depends on the vet. A lot of vets seem to be 'iffy' on chinchillas. Same as on other animals like ferrets and stuff. So that's why before i'd even visit the vet I ask questions like how many have they actually SEEN/treated... asking questions i've been very lucky when it comes to finding vets for my exotics. But if something seemed 'off' i'd definately come and ask on the forum.

Like a bunch of people have said before it depends on the vet. That being said, you all seem to dislike the vets you do because of what seems to be their personality.

If a vet is willing to lie and say they are educated on chinchillas enough to safely treat yours, then they are a bad vet and a bad person. If a vet is unwilling to investigate the claims of other people trying to educate them, then they are a bad vet and a person who lacks logic.

Lying and close-mindedness are personal traits. I've only been to my vet once but he didn't tell me anything I wasn't aware of. He didn't tell me anything I've found research opposing it, either. I asked him how familar he was, how many chins he's seen etc...

It's a possible career goal of mine to be a vet. I'm an undergrad in an animal science program and have worked at vet hospitals. In all of my classes, we've never talked about chinchillas and I've never seen one come into the hospitals I've been in. But, just because vets may not be exposed to chin information doesn't mean they can't seek it out themselves. They may choose to intern or have their residencies in a hospital that sees chins. Or just study them on their own time.

I don't take any information anyone gives me about chins at face value, despite who's giving it. I research everything. I don't know any breeders around here because I have never wanted a chinchilla from them (nothing personal) so I don't know who is more knowledgable around me but I think it's safe to say that whoever is giving you information YOU CAN CORROBERATE, you may find it reasonable to trust them more.

I ask the people on CnH what to do. If they recommend a vet visit, I go. I have Rocco registered at an exotics vet in town.

Back