Very lethargic chin, no appetite

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippo456

On Sunday, I let Tubby out for playtime in the bathroom.
He managed to jump onto the sink and jumped off the sink onto the floor.
Right afterwards, he was super lethargic like I've never seen him before.
I thought that he had broken his leg because it was quite a distance to jump from the sink to the floor.
That Sunday night, I placed him in his small carrier so that he wouldn't need to move/jump around so much. At first, he was just lying on his side, which is very unlike him. Towards the night, he was able to walk, but with a limp.
The next day, Monday, I brought him to a new vet. This vet has never seen or taken care of chins before but he's experienced in other small animals and exotic pets.
From the way Tubby walked and when the vet touched Tubby's legs, he determined that he has no broken legs, but he merely pulled the muscle of his left hind thigh.
He didn't prescribe any meds except for probiotics and advised me to let Tubby rest for 4 days or so.
Since the incident on Sunday, Tubby has lost appetite and not drinking water. So I had to give him Critical Care and give him water through syringe.
Today, Wednesday, he isn't getting better and he's been sleeping on his side most of the days. The vet saw Tubby again and gave me the same diagnosis - that Tubby is physiologically ok, but he's stressed out and shocked from the muscle pull. He suggested that I return Tubby to his usual cage so Tubby would feel some normalcy.
Tonight, after giving him Critical Care, he's been doing some repeated soft whimpers and this is worrying me.
Any advise and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

without an x ray, there is no way to confirm no bones are broken. you need to get him to a chin qualified vet, and right away. lethargy is very serious in chins, as they try to hide all symptoms of illness and injury as well as they can. he is probably in pain, and chins in pain go off their feed. going off feed leads to bloat, which can lead to stasis and death.

post your location, we may be able to help you find a chin qualified vet in your area.

I agree, chin needs a vet who actually knows what a chin is, this chin has been suffering without a diagnosis and treatment for too long, it could actually die from this so we are very serious when we say second opinion before its too late.

Oh my! He could have done some real damage to himself but appear to be alright from the vet just looking at him. He could have sustained a massive head injury from the fall! Poor chinnie.

If it is just the chin acting shocky, you have to make sure that he's eating and his digestive tract is moving things along. I've noticed that with chins that have had a problem like this the issue isn't necessarily the injury but that they stop eating and start to shut down. I had a chin a couple years back who was injured when she got here...just a slight leg injury. I had to give her gut motility drugs for a couple of weeks to keep her from dying. Chins are very delicate...the stress from an injury and subsequent stress of going to the vet can really do a number on them.

You really need to make sure that you're getting droppings out of this chin and make sure that he's eating normally...and find another vet, who is a little more chin savvy.

Bleeding!!

This morning (it's already Thursday morning in Southeast Asia), I found Tubby in his tube and his tube was full of blood (warning, gory photo).
Seems like he's pooping blood and it's diarrhea consistency.
Now I'm just waiting until it's 9 a.m. so I can call the vet again.
At this point I don't know what to do.
When I tried to move him so I could clean his cage, Tubby was super super super lethargic and I can't stand seeing him like this.
Is he having some kind of an internal bleeding?
Has anyone experienced this before?

Attachments

• 313017_10100223268604776_5500490_48765698_1623281015_n.jpg
    313017_10100223268604776_5500490_48765698_1623281015_n.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 54
sorry, but your chin needs a vet now, no waiting. It could already be too late for him. Please get him to a vet asap

You need to take him to the vet now! If your vet does not know chins, call others until you can find one that does. Your chin needs a vet sooner than later.

Nobody can say it better but I'll repeat it anyway, he can easily die if you don't get him in within a day or so from what I know. Find an Emergency vet tonight that's competent with chins or at the very least and most desperate willing to actually learn on the run!

go to a vet immediately if you haven't already. a day or so means death. did you go to the vet this morning?

i hope Tubby recovers.

Last edited:
My thoughts go out to your Chinchilla. I know I'd be crushed if anything happened to my little guy.

I imagine this chinchilla did not survive. I also would guess he had possible internal damage and that is why he was lethargic so immediatly

Back