Very First Baby Took Female Colour Section Champion!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure some people will have a pop at me for this post but I feel the need to post it anyway ....

It is not acceptable practice to purchase chinchillas from Craigslist (or similar sites) and breed them. It is a practice with risks to the chinchillas & any offspring.

Caroline has been incredibly lucky to have found a fully pedigreed chinchilla which, from reading the posts above, has been actually verified by the original breeder.

Breeding Craigslist chinchillas is considered bad practice generally & should not be attempted.

Please, please, if you are reading this thread & thinking "Oh goody, on CnH they are happy for people to breed chins from Craigslist", we're not. That would be irresponsible & it's not something this forum condones - just go through & search for breeding non-pedigree, rescue/Craigslist chins & you'll find a ton of threads.

*steps off soapbox*

Agreed. Finding a verified pedigreed chin on CL is the exception, not the rule. This is a special circumstance.

I'm sure some people will have a pop at me for this post but I feel the need to post it anyway ....

It is not acceptable practice to purchase chinchillas from Craigslist (or similar sites) and breed them. It is a practice with risks to the chinchillas & any offspring.

Caroline has been incredibly lucky to have found a fully pedigreed chinchilla which, from reading the posts above, has been actually verified by the original breeder.

Breeding Craigslist chinchillas is considered bad practice generally & should not be attempted.

Please, please, if you are reading this thread & thinking "Oh goody, on CnH they are happy for people to breed chins from Craigslist", we're not. That would be irresponsible & it's not something this forum condones - just go through & search for breeding non-were pedigree, rescue/Craigslist chins & you'll find a ton of threads.

*sproduce off soapbox*[/QUClearsI totally agree with you. Chins should not be bred to sell on Craigslist, nor should people make a practice of breeding chins from Craigslist.
The point I was trying to make is that there are times, as in this situation, and that of another that a friend found, where people purchase quality chins from reputable breeders and then for whatever reason sell them on Craigslist. In my situation I was able to see that she had good size and conformation etc and was extremely lucky as not only did she come from a reputable breeder but she had the genetics to produce a colour section champion. I did do my homework before purchasing her to verify who she was and where she came from then later we picked a male from Rivendell who we felt would be a good match for her and would help improve and produce kits that were better than their parents. Clearly that goal was achieved.

Please, please, if you are reading this thread & thinking "Oh goody, on CnH they are happy for people to breed chins from Craigslist", we're not. That would be irresponsible & it's not something this forum condones - just go through & search for breeding non-were pedigree, rescue/Craigs chins & you'll find a ton of threads.produce off soapbox*[/previous earsI totally agree with you. Chins should not be bred to sell on Craigslist, nor should people make a practice of breeding chins from Craigslist.
The point I was trying to make is that there are times, as in this situation, and that of another that a friend found, where people purchase quality chins from reputable breeders and then for whatever reason sell them on Craigslist. In my situation I was able to see that she had good size and conformation etc and was extremely lucky as not only did she come from a reputable breeder but she had the genetics to produce a colour section champion. I did do my homework before purchasing her to verify who she was and where she came from then later we picked a male from Rivendell who we felt would be a good match for her and would help improve and produce kits that were better than their parents. Clearly that goal was achieved.

Replying from my phone in previous post and quote did not get highlighted properly. Phone keeps messing up. So much for having an expensive droid.

I totally agree with you. Chins should not be bred to sell on Craigslist, nor should people make a practice of breeding chins from Craigslist.
The point I was trying to make is that there are times, as in this situation, and that of another that a friend found, where people purchase quality chins from reputable breeders and then for whatever reason sell them on Craigslist. In my situation I was able to see that she had good size and conformation etc and was extremely lucky as not only did she come from a reputable breeder but she had the genetics to produce a colour section champion. I did do my homework before purchasing her to verify who she was and where she came from ...........

Caroline, my post was addressed to those people who may read your thread & think it is the norm or ok for them to do likewise. As I said above, you were fortunate in being able to have the original breeder verify the details from the tag (that's my understanding from what has been posted).

This situation is not the norm - IMO that just needed to be pointed out for educational purposes - because that's what this forum is about.
There are people who will read this thread & breed chins from Craigslist - because you've done it. That's what people are like. They read what they want to & then use it to justify their practices.

Like some others on this forum, I've had first-hand experience in dealing with the results of bad breeding practices & had the heartache of getting those poor chins put to sleep; starving, malnourished, skeletal, genetically deformed ...... & it's awful. Hence my post.

BTW, size & conformation mean little or nothing - I've had/seen award winning, stunningly beautiful chinchillas dead by the time they were 2 - 2 1/2 from genetic issues - I'd rather have a genetically healthy chin over an award winning genetic mess any day even if it's not "show worthy".

Caroline, my post was addressed to those people who may read your thread & think it is the norm or ok for them to do likewise. As I said above, you were fortunate in being able to have the original breeder verify the details from the tag (that's my understanding from what has been posted).

This situation is not the norm - IMO that just needed to be pointed out for educational purposes - because that's what this forum is about.
There are people who will read this thread & breed chins from Craigslist - because you've done it. That's what people are like. They read what they want to & then use it to justify their practices.

Like some others on this forum, I've had first-hand experience in dealing with the results of bad breeding practices & had the heartache of getting those poor chins put to sleep; starving, malnourished, skeletal, genetically deformed ...... & it's awful. Hence my post.

BTW, size conformation mean little or nothing - I've had/seen award winning, stunningly beautiful chinchillas dead by the time they were 2 - 2 1/2 from genetic issues - I'd rather have a genetically healthy chin over an award winning genetic mess any day even if it's not "show worthy".

Once again I agree with you.

Back