Versele-Laga Brand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsGSnak

SgtPepper
Hello.

I'm a bit concerned about which food I should give t my chin. He's a bit older than 2 months, and I've been giving him a 'normal' hay, not a very expensive one. But about the pellets. I found this brand "Versele-Laga", one of the only I have available here, and it looked good. Here's their website.

I have both their pellet foods: Chinchilla Complete and Chinchilla Nature.
I first got Chinchilla Complete, because all the pellets look the same, which means he wouldn't select which pellets he'd eat. That seemed nice, in a way that he would never lack any nutrients. Later, my brother went to a pet store, and the owned told him he should get the Nature one. Which has lots of different bits, including dried bannana, sliced oats kinda like this, and other colory bits (green, orange, etc) that should taste like carrot and oother vegetables, idk. The thing is: he will eat that over the Complete one. Which kinda sucks, I think. But in your opinion, and reading the products' description on the links above, what do you think I should stick with? My bet is Complete. But I'm not sure.
Also, could I, for example, take the oats and other different bits out from the Nature pellets and give him as treats? How frequently?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If those are your only two options, I would go for the Complete. Only because your chinchilla cannot pic a choose. He will get more nutrients in with the complete.

Personally I would head to a feed store and check out their rabbit feeds. You may find something better. Stay away from the chinchilla nature food. It's junk.

Of course he'll eat the one with dried bits and junk. It's like giving a kid candy. Chinchillas really shouldn't have any fruit. Drying fruit simply concentrates the sugar not make it healthier. Most of the other stuff in those mixes they should never have either. Without an ingredients list you can't really tell how suitable the chinchilla complete is. All sorts of stuff can be used to get the right numbers and they often exaggerate or are just plain naive about how good each aspect of their pellet is.

I think the ingredient list comes on the Complete pellets bag. I'm going to try and see, then I'll post it here.

Back