Vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleynicol3

I am going away next week - should only be Monday through Thursday. My fiancé is staying home, so he'll be taking care of Buddha. I spend a lot of time with Buddha, but my fiancé doesn't, so I'm afraid Buddha will be afraid/lonely while I'm gone. I've given my fiancé strict instructions on when to feed/water Buddha & not to let him out of his cage since he doesn't really know what he's doing. I've decked Buddha's cage out with all new fleece & a bunch of new toys, so hopefully that will keep him occupied. I have a Silver Surfer wheel, but I haven't given it to him yet since he's still only four months old, but he's steadily gaining weight & seems to be very healthy, so I might go ahead & give the wheel to him before I leave. I'm thinking it might make it easier on him since he's used to out of cage time & he won't be getting it while I'm gone. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I would wait to give him the wheel until 6 months as he should be eating, growing and aging weight ....wheels may keep him from doing so. He will be fine without playtime while you are gone.

Ugh! He's on time out anyway since he now thinks it's fun to chew the baseboards and I have to follow him around the room and blow on him to make him stop... & tonight he peed on the carpet for the first time ever. I'm thinking a little cage time while I'm gone is just what he needs! He's grounded lol - he's lucky he's so darn cute!

I give them a wheel at 3 months of age. I tell customers to put 2 water bottles on the cage when they will be gone as a back up in case one leaks out.

He has two water bottles at all times. I also added another food bowl. I haven't put his wheel in there yet, but I still might before I leave.

I asked an exotic vet that works for the Columbus Zoo and treats chinchillas about using a wheel at 3 months of age. He said the exercise actually stimulates their appetite, blood circulation, which in turn aids in digestion. I haven't ever had any negatives come from using the wheels at that age, but this is just my opinion based on my experiences.

I already left for vacation, but I think I'll give him his wheel when I get back. I am making him a whole new set of fleece liners anyway, so I'll just rearrange everything. Thanks!

Back