Vacation planning with a chin.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonmariexoxo

Annabelle's Mommy! (:
So we booked a vacation (from KY to NC) for next month and I plan to have my chin by then. I have three options and I want to know which is best:
1. Take her with me.
2. Have her live with my boyfriend for a week.
3. Have my grandmother come by and feed her 1-2 times a day and check on her too.

So far I've heard #3 was best. What do you think?

Can you wait to pick up the chin until after vacation? Then you wouldn't have to worry about pet care for it at all. If not, I would say option #3, that way the new chin could stay put and settle in (as long as your grandmother is comfortable caring for the chin).

While I'm not sure what is the best option for your vacation plans........I can give your some words of wisdom. When someone is watching your animal make sure you leave directions on how to feed. The hay/feed/water bottle checks etc. I also do not let my sitters give out snacks and tell them no matter how much they beg do NOT give them anything but feed/hay and water.
Also the importance of air conditioning. And what exotic vet(s) are available should the need arise. I live in a big city and we have three different vet clinics that see exotics. But non work everyday. And should your sitter have problems, they should know how reach you at all times. Be it voice mail to cell phone etc. I tell my sitter to call me no matter how stupid the question may be while I am away.

Oh I just saw the above note about picking up the chin after vacation. That seems the best option.

The only problem with getting it after is I've wanted one a long time plus I want her to have most of the summer to settle in before I go back to school in mid-August.

i would also suggest waiting until you get back from vacation to get your chin. they sleep quite a bit during the day, and if the house is quiet with nobody home while you are at school, your chin will probably settle in a bit better (just my opinion). with them being up during the night more than the day, you'll still have plenty of time to bond and play with them.

The only problem with getting it after is I've wanted one a long time plus I want her to have most of the summer to settle in before I go back to school in mid-August.

Food for thought...sometimes it is not about what you want but what is best for the animal.

Also, I do not see your point on getting it now so that it can "settle in" before you go back to school when in the same thread you are talking about getting one and then leaving right away for vacation???

Like I said - not always about what you want.

Back