urinating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
i recently got a new chinchilla named yuki (which we dont know the sex of yet) and i took her out to put her in the playpen to let her get some exercise. she peed on my floor which i thought was strange because i've never seen my other chinchilla ruby pee and i've had her for about 3 months now. is there something wrong with ruby? should i take her to the vet? i take her out everyday for about an hour and play with her in my bathroom. you'd think that by now she would've peed in there but she hasnt. i really dont understand.

When they have to go they go. Sometimes my chin will urinate during playtime. It's not often but it does happen. Last week she decided my trash can was the perfect place to relieve herself.

my Rhino never pees outside his cage, and is very particular about making it to his litter pan to pee. one time he even zipped across the bedroom during playtime, hopped in his cage and went to his litter pan, peed, then hopped back out to play some more, lol.

as long as you see evidence that Ruby is peeing regularily (wet shavings in the litter pan, urine spots/stains on the fleece, etc) then i wouldn't worry or rush to the vet.

but thats what i'm saying, i dont see evidence that shes peeing regularly at all. it worries me. maybe if i change her bedding to a light color i will be able to see it more.

I have 10 chins and not one of them has ever peed on me or outside of the cage. So this is not uncommon at all. Some chins are very in tune to using their shavings or fleece liners and not going on shelves or hard surfaces and some are not. If she was not peeing she would be dead, so I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

Dotty will pee on the floor when she is nervous and Lola will pee on new things in the room which i have always thought she is marking her territory. Lola is usually quite good and will go in her cage to pee at playtime and Dotty will usually pee before she comes out. I think everyone has different ideas about it and if you dont think shes just peeing because she needs to go maybe its one of the things ive mentioned :D

When my chin used to have access to her cage during playtime she would run back into it and go. However, when she is now out she has no access to her cage. I'm sure Ruby is fine. As long as she is drinking she should be going to the restroom.

Mine devlope a habbit of sticking to certin areas to go, but sometimes you jsut gotta, and will use a diffrent area. I generaly never see them try to pee. Even if you no thats what their doing, you dont realy see it. You jsut see the shaving changing color or being wet. (depending what you use)

One of my girls will occasionally pee outside of her cage, but the other 4 I've had never have.

What kind of shavings/liner do you use? After a week or so if you're using shavings you should definitely notice a wet spot in one corner of the cage. But she may also be peeing on her hay so you may not notice it on the liners/shavings.

the shavings i use are dark colored, so its hard to tell if they change color. but i bought light colored shavings and i'm going to use that just to be sure. i'm pretty sure she is because it seems like part of her shavings are wet. i'm just going to use the light shavings to be sure. its pretty cool that they know to use their cage as a bathroom. i hope rubys like that. shes a pretty smart girl :)

when you say 'dark coloured' shavings, they aren't cedar are they? because cedar is toxic to chins. definitely switch to kiln dried pine or aspen. i use pine in Rhino's litter bowl and i can always see where he's peed.

I had to pull it from my chins cage as she was eating it. Most do not like it as if they DO eat it, and it expands during digestion, it can cause problems.

I believe others use pine or aspen. (untreated)
I use fleece in my cage with mom and babies, other cage has tile.

eta: I'd pull it as soon as you can. You don't know if she nibbles when you're not looking.

Back