upside down drinking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilune

For some reason whenever Amp gets a drink from her bottle she twists herself almost upside down to lick at the ball. Ive raised it and lowered it trying to find the right spot for her, but no matter the height she either bends or stretches to it then spins her head underneath it and sips. Is this normal?

The levels going down, so I'm sure she's getting water, but it looks terribly uncomfortable. I don't think its a problem, I'm just really curious if that's how they like to drink, or if its another quirky trait of hers ^^;

I am curious what the answers will be. Mine do the same thing and it does look so uncomfortable. I even checked out all the pictures in the FN club so I could see where others hung their water bottles.

I've had a couple of chins who drink this way. For some reason or another this is the way they prefer to drink. Perhaps they don't like getting water on thier lower lip. There is nothing you can do to change the way they drink as long as you know it isn't caused by the position of the water bottle.

Of our seven, one drinks that way all the time, and another does it at least occasionally...When we put the water bottle higher, she would move stuff over to climb on just so she could do the same thing, or perch on the food dish and lean over upside down. So we just gave in and let them.

Good to hear shes not alone in that then :D She's done the same thing as yours Bund, scooted her food bowl over, perched on the side then flipped herself around. How persistent (and bendy) she is gives me the giggles sometimes.

My girls refuse to use the water bottle I have on the lower level of the cage. They will only use the one on the upper level. I have seen them stand and drink "normally" but most of the time they like to lay on the ledge next to the waterbottle and drink upsidedown. It is the silliest thing. I assumed my girls were just being lazy. Some day I will manage to catch a picture of it.

My chin is like that too, she'll bend herself almost upside down to drink. I never thought anything of it before. Silly chins!

My chin does this as well! Sometimes she'll tilt her head almost entirely upside down and sometimes she'll tilt her head sideways.

What quirky chins!

i once had my chin gummi fall head first off a ledge next to her waterbottle then start drinks doing a headstand type thing. it was really weird. chins can jsut be really silly sometimes

5/5 of my chins drink with their heads at a complete 90 degree angle. I think its cause their nose sticks out a bit further then their jaw/mouth.

You know, I was wondering if that was it. Watching her do her head flipping drink dance, her mouth looks a bit more awkwardly shaped than our other rodents. As long as its not a sign of something wrong (and with so many people saying theirs do it too, it's got to be good) I feel much better. Thanks guys <3
Also the longer we have her the more I realize I've got new mom syndrome. Shes the cutest, smartest, friendliest baby in the whole wide world and oh god shes tilting her head sideways somethings wrong call the doctor.
I am glad this forum exists to keep me in line xD

Also the longer we have her the more I realize I've got new mom syndrome. Shes the cutest, smartest, friendliest baby in the whole wide world and oh god shes tilting her head sideways somethings wrong call the doctor.
I am glad this forum exists to keep me in line xD

ohhh... so very very true lol.
After 5-6 years im still the same way.

My chin drinks with her head to the side not upside down. Weirddd :S

Back