Two Random Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

What is the cage called that is very similar to the ferret nation? I just can't think of it.. they look almost exactly alike. Not the critter nation, I believe it is made by a different company. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Second question.. on the website ferret.com, are the things called "ferret nation pan covers" good? What are they made out of? What about the scatter guards? Would you suggest the scatter guards or getting bass pans?

Ok, I guess that was more than two questions :) Thanks in advance!

Are you thinking of the Feisty Ferret cage? --> http://www.ferret.com/item/feisty-ferret-home/600999/

The FN pan covers - says they're made of microsuede... which isn't fleece, so it wouldn't be safe for chins. The scatter guards look to be made of the same plastic that the trays are made of, and I would think those would invite chewing even more, as there's an easier surface to grab onto, versus the trays. For our FN's/CN, we have the bass pans. If you can afford them, I would suggest them. They don't keep everything in the cage (moreso if you're using fleece liners), but they're considerably better than the pans that come with the cage.

I believe you are thinking of the feisty ferret cage.

As for the pan covers, they are fleece and a pillow case version of a fleece liner. They slip over the plastic pans. I have not used the cage guards.

I had someone give me some of the pan liners. I'm pretty sure microsuede is just a type of fleece. Both are 100% polyester fabric. They are just as durable, do not fray, and the chins have not destroyed them.

Only one side of the doors open in the Feisty Ferret. It looks like both sides would open, but they don't. The Feisty Ferret I saw looked not near as sturdy as the Ferret Nation's, and they have wire flooring. I'm not a big fan of wire floors.

If I were to choose, I would pick the Ferret Nation over the Feisty Ferret hands down.

Barb, what are the doors like? They look like big double doors to me? Would any of you suggest the Feisty Ferret cage?

i'd also pick the ferret nation over the feisty ferret. much better cage in my opinion.

any plastic in a cage needs to be removed or covered with fleece (assuming your chin isn't a fleece chewer - if so, you can't use fleece).

Bass pans would win over any scatter guards, etc any day for me. although i haven't personally used Bass pans, my cage is configured in much the same way as a cage with a Bass pan, with a wood surround on the bottom level that has a 5 inch high edge. while i do still get some hay and poop outside the cage, all of that is from the upper levels of the cage.

for fleece covers for the shelves and pans, i would check the classifieds here. we have many members that make great fleece items for our fuzzies :)) i personally would recommend AnnieO.

Last edited:
Just to give you a comparison for size, my old aviary was approximately the same size as a Feisty Ferret cage, and here it is standing next to my Ferret Nation:

100_5441-1.jpg

The Ferret/Critter nation is definitely a better cage and so much easier to clean. However if you don't have room for that big a cage, the Fiesty Ferret is a nice cage - I put tile on the bottom of the cage over the wire. I have 2 of the them for a small part of my rooms. I have 3 3 levels of the FN/CN cages and will replace most of my other cages with the CN cages where there is room for them

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) I was wondering because my girl Chelsea, who I picked up today, has the Feisty ferret cage. Chelsea's previous owner didn't have time to care for her anymore. My baby girl Lilo, who I got from a breeder, has the Ferret Nation. I definitely like the FN more, but for now the Feisty Ferret will work. I definitely don't like the wire floors for Chelsea's feet though. Do you think she'll be alright for now?

Back