Trust set-back

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

We adopted a young male chinchilla (born in March) named Fentusko (Fen for short). He is a little shy but quite friendly in his most active hours of the night and was adapting quite quickly even though we'd only had him for 4 days.

Unfortunately we decided to add more hay into his cage when he was really hyper and bouncing all over the place that he zoomed right out of the cage. He was quite hard to catch and I'm afraid that chasing after him has him quite distrusting of us. He used to not flinch and zoom away when we went near the cage, even when sticking our hands in to change water/food/hay.. but now he runs for dear life when he even just enter the room. He has started barking too for no apparent reason, especially during the day.

I think we, as new chinparents, got a little ahead of ourselves and did something wrong during our panic. I fear that we may not be able to establish a trusting bond with the little guy, please let me know if there's anything we should do, especially with such a young chilla.

You guys will be fine, it's just going to take some time. If I have a hard to catch chin I take a sheet or throw blanket and toss it on him to catch him quickly. He will forgive you. Welcome to the world of chinchillas, you sound like the kind of sensitive people who will become great chinparents.

My chinchilla is hard to catch too lol.. sometimes, if the room is safe for her to be out in, i let her run herself out and eventually she gets bored and comes back to us. I think your chin was just having a good time exploring and was afraid you'd put it back in the cage.

For me, the best way for me to catch my chins is to put out the dust bath. They jump in it every time.

try putting a pinch of old fashioned oats on your hand, hold your hand out and wait till he comes to you and have him eat them on your hand. It helps to build back the trust.

Been there, done that! LOL. Just agreeing with everyone that your little guy will trust you again if you take it slow and do what you have been doing up to this point. :thumbsup:

Back