Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott86

Confused at peoples definitions of treats for their Chin. From what I've read one treat a day is ok for their digestive system. But is a craisin the same as a apple timothy hay cube , or an apple chew stick?

They shouldn't get any kind of fruit. It's got too much sugar for their digestive tract. Rose hips, dried rosebuds, plain no sugar shredded wheat are all ok in moderation. My boys think hay cubes are treats. And most just give a nice new stick to chew on as treats.

So I can give him multiple apple timothy biscuits in a day or combine it with other "treats".

My chins think me handing them a pellet is a treat sometimes! LOL. They dont need sugary goodies to be happy. A simple chew stick or dried rosehip will make them happy as can be.

i do the same thing with pellets ometimes...

if its a treat, it should only be once a day..

Not biscuits, hay cubes are just condensed, packed cubes of hay. Sometimes I put mine in a bag of dried rosebuds and shake it around so it has that "treat" smell to it. They go nuts! I wish my boys would fall for the pellet trick! They do go for the strand of hay though... haha.

No fruit at all! That includes fresh, dried, or as an ingredient. Also, unless the treat is pellets, hay, or wood, they should be limited to one or two a week, not one a day.

Back