Treatment for Shock

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obcsed

I lost a chin to shock last night. He had spent the day at the vet being treated for an abscess. It was a post-op complication from bladder stone surgery a month ago. They lanced it and put in a drain. I picked him up at 6:30. By the time I got him home he was unresponsive and died 5 minutes later. It all happened so fast that I'm not sure I could have reacted fast enough to save him even if I had been prepared for it. I'll leave the blaming and rant about the vet for some other time.

I would like to be better prepared in the future. What should I have on hand to treat shock? What is the first thing to do and how do I manage shock until I can get to a vet?

My heart broke for you reading this. You are in my thoughts. My love to you and your lost one.

Usually when a person or animal goes into shock they need to be kept warm, however with a chinchilla I'm not sure this is the case.

I honestly don't think you could have done anything to save your chin from this, his body was most likely in a weakened state from the surgery and the abcess.

You did all you could--I am sorry for your loss

I am sooo sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you were doing all you could. May your chinnie rest in peace.

To get a chinchilla to recover from shock there are several things to do, but none are ever full proof. It depends on how far into shock the chinchilla is as to whether or not it can be brought back. First and foremost the chin needs to be warmed, their body temperature drops very quickly, even on hot days. Another thing to do is give sub-q fluids as shock can dehydrate a chinchilla as well. If the shock is caused by pain, the chin can be helped by being given some metacam. Lastly, you can try to give them something with sugar to boost their systems and get them going though I would use this as a very last resort. Karo syrup can work as well as half a raisin.

Yes it was and yes the vet sent him home too soon. This shouldn't have happened but that is another story.

Thanks for the information and everyone's kind thoughts.

Last edited:
I had it happen to me, the chin had some kind of issue during being put under and was dead shortly after, AND I was sent home that way also.

Latest posts

Back