Tray Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlahBlah

The cage I have is wire bottomed with a steel pull-out tray I wanted to ask what bedding should I use in the tray at the moment I am using saw dust, though I have seen my chinchilla poking his mouth through the wire and eating the saw dust more than once.

Should I stick to saw dust/ wood shavings or use newspaper or something else?

Thanks.

i either cover over the wire with fleece and dont really use the tray OR i have filled the tray with kiln dried pine shavings and made sure the bottom of the cage was mostly covered with a marble slab, litter boxes, etc... that way they have a softer place to stand/walk and they are not always walking on the metal.

I use pine shavings in my cages...they all have wire floors and the pine seems to do the best job with absorbing urine and keeping odor down. Not to mention that I think it is the most economical bedding that I can find. Newspapers can get really stinky, and they also do not compost as well as the pine. (I don't know if that is a concern to you, I have a compost pile for my used shavings and chin waste.)

I use the pine wood pellets for horse bedding. Pellets don't get everywhere or stick to stuff like shavings. The chins may try to eat one but usually don't bother after one. It is about $6 for a bag at tractor supply and one bag is enough for 3 changes for my chins and rabbit. I won't ever use anything else. I wish mine were litter trained but they aren't.

well the wire bottoms are not an issue. Its all about preference for the owner/rancher. Back in the day all runs were wire bottoms for easier cleaning and for keeping bellies white as possible. I would suggest to put some type of shelf or ledge just to keep them off the wire floor when they choose so. It shouldnt really matter what you use because saw dust is ok, however its very dusty and it may effect their repiratory system, so if you see them coughing or sneezing, that can be a sign that maybe swapping out is a good idea.
How far is the gap between the wire mesh and the bottom of the pan? because some people have used unscented kitty litter for easier cleanup on urine spots. But the best and cheapest way to go is pine or aspen shavings. Or even newpaper if you lay it inside without the animals being able to nip at it.
hope this helps!!!

Thanks for the helpful responces guys!, I think I'll stick to the shavings then its just it makes alot of mess when empting it out because the tray is quite thin and wide.

Yes I do have some marble slaps and wood shelfves for him to walk on.

Thanks a bunch. :D

You could use fleece and turn it over daily between washings, eveything would fall into the tray - and no shavings=less clean up on wash day.

Just remember NOT to use Cedar shavings... :)
i switched from that Kaytee Soft Sorbent stuff... i actually really liked that stuff except that it gets really expensive AND it makes a big mess...i now use aspen shavings and the big bag lasts a lot longer!!! i'm not too keen on the smell though..it doesn't smell THAT bad...i guess i'm not used to it...

Do you leave the Aspen shavings in the pan for a week before fully changing them?? Just wondering I was thinking about switching to aspin.

Latest posts

Back