Trapped chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
I left the dust bowls in with the boys last night. Point is somehow Moche flipped his and got trapped under it. He was in a glass bowl that was semi sealed, because the dust piled up under him and blocked the opening, worst case scenario, from 9pm till 4pm. I got him out, checked for external injuries, he was a bit damp from urine I'm guessing since it was around his tail, so I dried him off, let him loose for a few minutes (5) to see how he moved, which was a bit slower than normal aside from a few sprints-but he wasn't favoring any legs or falling or anything else I can think of...now after a half of shredded wheat a few nibbles of hay he is sleeping in his house. Not on his side, just normal. Unless Syd gets close to the cage, then he peaks out. What do I need to watch for in the next few hours/days? Shock, respiratory infections due to the dust and humidity that built up....internal injuries? Someone please break it down for me however horrid it may be.

Just observe for any abnormal behavior, chances are right now he's exhausted from trying to get out, and possibly high heat depending on how hard he worked to get out and the temp you're keeping at.

was there a lot of dust in the bowl with him? I'm wondering about respiratory if he was breathing in dust for hours?

There wasn't a whole lot of dust in there. maybe half a cup at the most. He's acting fine. Running amuck in the cage for a shredded wheat, just pulled all the hay out of the hay bin, so I think he's ok. There is no telling how long he was in there, two hours, 8 or 30 min. I will be watching him for respiratory issues but I don't think he's shocky or anything.

a dust bowl should not be left in the cage.
In her defence, I am sure that she didn't leave the dust bowl in the cage on purpose, but you know how easily things can be forgotten when it is late in the evening. I am sure that she already knew not to leave it in the cage and made a mistake.

oh yes i know how things can be forgotten do it all the time.
i was just saying it, incase she didn't know.

He'll be alright. These things happen. He probably just fell asleep inside of the duster anyway. You'd probably know right away if there were a real problem with him because he would have acted strange when you took out the duster. It's not like it was air tight or anything.

I can just see him jumping up and stretching as you took it out.

Thank you for talking with me earlier Susan! It was great catching up!

As for my little furball:
He definitely seems fine. I still don't know how he managed to flip it. Maybe he moved it onto loose hay so it wobbled when he rolled....maybe he wanted to mess with my emotions.

Last edited:
don't feel bad about a dust bowl--Jonesy curled up inside the fleece i was wearing the other night, and i remember thinking, "how nice...we'll just take a nap on the couch together..."
thank GOD i woke up when she started to tunnel down my sleeve!
everyone is okay; that's what matters.

Latest posts

Back