Totoro my new friend and some questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuuHouhouji

Hi, I just want to share with you my new little baby: He’s name is Totoro (I know, I’m not the most imaginative pet owner) is 14 weeks old and standard grey. We had him now for two days and even if he is still a little scare of us, he already takes food from our hand and yesterday decided to jump on my husband’s head. He hates to be held, but I hope he would get use to it
He is took his first dust bath yesterday (he is changing fur and look like it need one) It took him a lot to figure out what he was supposed to do. The humidity here is now in the 40%, how often should I bath him?

The other thing that worries me is that I have never seen him drink water, and the level in the water bottle seems the same. I test it with my finger and it seems to work just fine but I’m worry he is thirsty. Should I put a shallow plate with water to see if he is thirsty?

I’m at work now, but later I would give you all a tour of his house to see if you all suggest some changes.
Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• la foto (6).JPG
    la foto (6).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 30
  • la foto (7).JPG
    la foto (7).JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi!
To address your water question first. There are three main types of water spouts: glass rod, Edstrom metal nipple with a little rod in the middle that the chinchilla jiggles, and the metal tube with a ball on the end the chin spins to get water. It is important to ask the breeder or pet store where you got Totoro wht type of water bottle they use. Many cannot figure out certain types if they were not raised using that type. I put a piece of masking tape at the water level and see if any is consumed over a 24 hour period. As for a dish with water, I think he would just get wet. However, I think the water nozzle type is the problem in your case. AS for dusting, once a week is typically sufficient for pet chins.

Yes he is cute!

Hi!
To address your water question first. There are three main types of water spouts: glass rod, Edstrom metal nipple with a little rod in the middle that the chinchilla jiggles, and the metal tube with a ball on the end the chin spins to get water. It is important to ask the breeder or pet store where you got Totoro wht type of water bottle they use. Many cannot figure out certain types if they were not raised using that type. I put a piece of masking tape at the water level and see if any is consumed over a 24 hour period. As for a dish with water, I think he would just get wet. However, I think the water nozzle type is the problem in your case. AS for dusting, once a week is typically sufficient for pet chins.

Thanks I will ask the breeder what kind of water bottle he use. If It serves for something, mine is a super pet glass bottle of 26 oz. I will do the masking tape thing. I will try to teach him how to use his water bottle if not I will buy another one.

He is adorable! Mine get a dust bath about every 3 or 4 days.

Yes it is cute. It seems like he has had a lot of interaction before, is not that scare of us has I would have expected. I got the impression that he has never had a dust bath before because it took him forever to start to roll in his dust. Or maybe he was confused by the new container. I guess I will start with 3 times a week and go up or down has needed.

By the way, does anyone has advice in how to make a chinchilla understand the difference between friendly bite and “it hurts” friendly bite? I have been trying to make a sound similar to the barks he gave us when we put him in the cage (they seem like warning sounds to me) and it seem to get it, but a few minutes later he is biting to hard again. (no blood just a bit uncomfortable) :hmm:

Back