Tossing houses and stuff

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

My Chins keep tossing their wooden houses over. I always wake up to find it overturned or blocking the entryway between levels. Is there any reason why? I was thinking of getting a fleece house that would attach to the top of the cage. I also find their food bowls tossed over sometimes.

There are people on here that make wooden houses with hardware to attach to the cage so they can't flip it, that way you can keep a wood one if thats what you prefer. My boys flip their food dishes so I just got ones that attach to the cage. I found that the food dishes tipped because he used it as a bounce ledge!

Yup was going to say the same thing, Drill holes in your houses, get some bolts, a washer, and nuts, and they won't be moving it anywhere!

Adding, check out some of the vendors on here, some make shelves with circles cut out, and bowls fit right inside, and they can't move them!

We have some stinkers that always knock over their houses... typically they do that to those wooden houses bought from the pet store with the slanted sides. To avoid that, we switch them out to one of our houses, which is not only heavier, but have flat backs, so as suggested, we can use hardware to attach them to the cage, and no more flipped houses. :))

the idea behind my solution for knocked over houses is very simple. (Getting or implementing might not be tho)... Make a house big enough they cant tip over lol.

They may have typed over those small ones form the pet stores, but i guarantee you they have never tipped THIS over lol.

Kits_in_liner.jpg

There are people on here that make wooden houses with hardware to attach to the cage so they can't flip it, that way you can keep a wood one if thats what you prefer. My boys flip their food dishes so I just got ones that attach to the cage. I found that the food dishes tipped because he used it as a bounce ledge!

Leo used to tip his food bowl when he got angry with me. It started out on the top level (2nd) and then one night after I forgot to top off his hay before I went to sleep he woke me up by sliding it down the ramp and onto the first level, creating a loud banging noise waking me up and making me fill his hay. I put it back on the second level but he kept doing it so I left it on the first level.

Next week I had a lot of work so I didn't give him enough attention for a couple of days, and I kept finding the food bowl tipped over on the bottom level. I didn't know how until one day I caught him dragging it with his teeth and caught it. It was a ceramic bowl too.

It is pretty normal for chins to "rearrange their furniture" and people have already offered solutions to the house problem so I won't go into that. I have a wooden house, but my chin doesn't use it save for sitting on top of it. Depending on the type of cage you have you could get a j-feeder and that instantly solves the bowl tipping over problem, it also it nice because you can refill it from the outside of the cage. My chin also likes to move EVERYTHING in his cage (besides the house). I try to put his cuddle buddy in places I see him sleeping with it and it always ends up on the floor covered in bedding, one time I caught him moving it. He put his little paws on it and pushed until it fell. This morning I came out to see his broom toy across the cage from where I had put it and in between the cage and a hanging toy, how it got there? No idea.

Back