took my gliders in the tree today

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
i just thought id share some pics,
i took zeke and zulu in the tree today because it was beautiful outside..its there first time ever in a tree and they LOVED it!!! and i am bonded very close with my gliders thats the only reason i took them in the tree is because they trust me and come back to me before anyone ask lol

hope you all enjoy,
some of them came out so pretty thats why i had to share

385880138.jpg

385880109.jpg

385879876.jpg

385879794.jpg

385879730.jpg

Beautiful pictures...but I would not take them outside again. I had a boy that was extremely closely bonded to me and I would never set him "loose" outside in a tree...even if I were standing right next to him. Maybe in the future you can get a small mesh cage like they use for chameleons and put a small tree in there for them to play in.

There also could be pesticides on the tree...and if no pesticides I'd worry about the actual pests on the trees. There is also the worry of predators...no matter how vigilant you are, a predator is born to capture prey and be sneaky about it.

No matter how cute certain things are or how nice a picture it could make...as an animal owner you need to think responsibly and think of safety above all else.

I have to agree with Tab and Ash. Even though I have seen many pictures of gliders in trees from other hobby breeders I have worked with, it's far too dangerous and not worth endangering or risking the life of one of your gliders. I personally have never taken any of my gliders outside other than when they are in a bonding pouch, because I'm far too afraid of losing one. They're too fast, I don't care how tame they are. If they get the urge to climb a tree to the top - how are you going to get them down? Call the fire department? We're not jumping on you, it's just advice that I've given many of my customers. You don't follow everything you see on the Internet because it looks cute. Safety first.

If you're interested in trying to give them a sence of a natural habitat, maybe make them a tree out of pvc and fleece, like this one:

IMGP4787.jpg

Last edited:
i really like that , thats so cute...can i put some of the tree branches in there cage???

You can buy grapevine instead or branches that are safe for chinchillas and use those in the cage. I wouldn't take any straight from the trees since you don't know what they are harboring.

I know Bird on the Rocks sells Manzanita perches, and branches. If they are safe for gliders, you could get some of those, too.

great pictures......glad you got them, 'cause i do think you should instead build that awesome pvc tree & be safe! than you could post cool pix of them in that.

tif--that pvc tree is SO cool. maybe you could post how you did it to help any other members that have the urge to take their pets that climb outside.
that tree is such a great idea! i want to make one to hang umbrellas or something!

I personally can't take credit for that tree, but they're easy to make. The person who made that tree can be found here: http://www.lilpawscraberet.com/

Pretty much what you need is pvc water tubing, elbows, and a pvc pipe bender. You bend the branches to the shape you want them. You sew pieces of fleece kinda like you would to make a tube, except on the branches you close one end of them. Do the same for the trunk. Then you're gonna attach the branches via elbows and connectors to the pole and cover them with the fleece. Use a cross shaped bottom to hold it steady. You can sew little leaves out of fleece to attach to the branch covers.

Cute pictures, I must say. I have no opinion on taking them outside though, but I do have a thought. Maybe you could get a potted tree and keep it in the house for them to climb on?

Great pics - I almost bought a pair once,
Around here, I'd be too afraid of hawks - we've a few red-tailed that I've seen getting squirrels and rabbits!

I have to agree with everyone! Definitely not a really wise choice, however, unlikely something would happen, but the possibility isnt worth it. Especially having more than one out there at a time!

Anyways, my reasoning for posting was, if it hasnt already been mentioned, how about purchasing some nice house plants? (Of course be sure they are safe) And let them play on those while you are on the computer or watching tv. Its the same feel of nature, but much safer, plus you can get your photos of them looking "wild" by putting them by a window. =]

Happy gliding!

whats some really pretty potted trees i could get that bloom off good??? im horrible with plants i just want some easy ideas...i know there is a toxic/non toxic list for gliders , twf im sure your aware of it..any easy ideas on a pretty plant or tree i could get for them to play on...and ill def build one of those pvc trees they are so cute!!! and im glad you all did like the pics..they came out very pretty

Back