Took his wheel away...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm4k

I took Rory's saucer away 2 days ago when I learned that a 4 mouth old shouldn't have one. He has had one for nearly a month. I realize how irresponsible I have been. I have done a ton more reading and I'm caught up on responsible chin parenting.

He seems to have increased in energy level now that I don't get him out of the cage everyday and the wheel is gone. He is also super pissed. He has been destroying his cage. But he doesn't throw his chew toys around. Throwing food all over and out of his cage. He now bites at his wire cage like crazy when every I'm in the room. That assume that means he wants out. He stops eventually. Also now when i put my fingers through the bars sometimes he will bite hard at them. Is this what I should expect? Is this just a tantrum?

I don't give him any attention when he bites at the cage. Don't want him to learn that is an ok way to get out. Right thing to do?

Also he has been doing, and does it more now, this thing where he will jump up to a wall of his cage then to another wall and yet another wall then to the platform. All of this in one motion in the air. It worries me. FYI he has a FN cage.

Yep, he is most definitely throwing a tantrum! The behavior that you are describing, where he jumps off the walls of his cage, that is called "wall surfing". Chins do this often especially when they are out for playtime in a room. It's really cute. Just a way they like to burn off their energy.

Biting the bars of the cage is normal for a chin who is frustrated and wants out. He should eventually stop. Don't give it too much thought.

As far as the playtime goes, many members say not to give playtime to chins under 6 months of age. They are still growing and don't need to "burn" off calories they need to grow up healthy and strong.

My advice is to maybe get your chin some new toys. Maybe even some sticks/wood. Keep him engaged with some new stuff. It will keep him entertained until he is 6 months old and can get his wheel back :) Then you can start off with some short playtimes and go from there. Don't worry about him getting enough exercise. It sounds like he is getting plenty!

about sticks. I read dogwood is ok to give him. I have a dogwood tree in my backyard. Am I correct in that I can cut some off, dry it, and give it to him?

LOL very typical tantrum! And yes, you are doing right by ignoring his cage biting/shaking. If you react in the way he wants you to when he does this, then he's won! They're smart little buggers. I'm glad you're taking the time to read up on things here. There's a lot of things we learn from each other over the years.

Thanks for the reply you guys.

You guys ever heard of ceiling surfing? He has now started jumping from the floor of his FN cage and bouncing off the ceiling onto his platform which is half way up and on the other side of the cage. I have a feeling that he is going to get into all the trouble.

Back