today was a bad day for our dog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perabalaofmystery

the weekend was lovely we were at my hubbies families cabin near international falls mn. it was a slow sleepy weekend with lots of rain.
today had been promising to be a good day we were going to go fishing one last time before the 6 hour drive back. when kate our 12-13 yr old lab spaniel mix. (who has eyesigth problems but other than that acts like a puppy) litteraly popped her eye with a stick. we were hours away from any vet clinic and evvryone we contacted was closed. ecept an emergency one back home.
she actualy felt little to no pain when/after it happend. she was her same old self . it was hard to see her like that as we dropped everything and sped to the vet(6 hour drive) the worst part was cleaning the wound untill we got help. im very good at helping and carring for animals except when they are my own. we were all upset and worried.

we finaly got to the vet and they confirmed my diagnosis that she would have to have the eye removed. 1200$ 4hrs and a surgery later. shes now sleeping at the foot of his parents spare bed. she looks terrible feels terrible and itll take weeks to recover. though due to the fact she was already blind in that eye it wont affect her vision at all.

it has been exausting. while at the vet my bf, his father and i were each barely holding back tears/breakdowns. when discussing our options.

my bf who is my rock would have been nearly destroyed had she not made it. as is i could barely keep him from charging into the back room when she was wimpering when they took her to the surgery to begin helping her.

she was a really brave girl through all of it. the silly thing was trying to comfort us even though she was the one that was hurt.

anyways sorry for rambling on.
i guess i have a pirate for a dog now.

I'm so sorry for everything you are going through. My own dog is about the same age, and was just diagnosed with cancer. It's hard to imagine losing them. I'm happy your dog pulled through the surgery okay. She sounds like a fighter.

You are a great pet owner for taking everything so seriously and doing the best you can. I hope your "baby" feels better soon.

she is a fighter.

shes feeling better though shes a little out of it half the time with the pain meds. lol we even had to keep making her calm down because shes easily excitable and happy.

though i was kindof shocked our usualy mischivous silly cat spent most of his time curled up next to her watching over her when she was sleeping. Lomi(the cat) and kate are best friends they play together all the time. though have never slept near each other till then.

me and my bf ended up sleeping an entire day after it was all "over" luckily there was a whole house to watch over her while we were unconcious.

she should be healed in several weeks. in 10-14 days we have to go in to get her sutures removed and then some more healing.
then she'll be"as good as new"

Back