Thumpers poor toeless paw =[

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlee92

Critterlover
So i'm almost 90% sure he lost his poor toe to the hidey house... Here are some pictures of the poor little guy..Sorry if they are a little dark they were from my cell phone. Oh i've been putting Blue Lotion on it like the vet told me too, he seems to be doing just fine without his toe and the hidey house has been trashed.
41244_10150250454180441_724005440_14230991_4006114_n.jpg

41244_10150250454205441_724005440_14230993_8331938_n.jpg

untitled.jpg

Ouch! Poor little guy.

Do you have any pictures of the hidey house so everyone can see what a potential danger looks like?

Many chins loose fingers by accident. I got two females who are missing a finger each. The first one was like that when she arrived, and the other one got it bitten by the first one.... FOrtunately, it does not have any impact on their lives.

Thumper seems to be doing fine without it, its just frustrating that he lost a toe because of something that was sposta be chinchilla safe inside their cage.

I never thought this house to be dangerous. I don't have it but is there any nails in it? I hope your Thumpers heals quickly.

Nope there aren't nails in it, there are wood peices on the roof that fit tightly so the roof secures and fits right, the sides have like slats where each peice slides in sort of like building blocks. Im pretty sure his toe got caught in the slat and Nala jumped on top and his toe got chopped off... I never thought it could be dangerous either which is why I let them have it in their cage, they loved it too.

That was my first hidey house, too, but Mr. Whiskers could chew it up in a few days. I ordered one from Carise at forchinatechins.com

Here's a link to the Happy page -- look at Happy in Houses and look for Calypso peeking out through the "Chindow"...that's the one I got. It is very well made, and over the years, Mr. Whiskers has widened the "chindow" to his liking!!!

http://forchinatechins.com/happy.htm

I will be either getting them a new hidey house or having my dad make them one..they are soo lost without their house. Out of everything they have in their cage they miss that stupid hidey house the most lol.

Ooohhh, I have that hidey house too. I wonder if I use carpenter's glue to keep the wood pieces interlocked if that would make it safer. Maybe you could try that if you want to buy the same house. I always thought it was safe too, but I can definitely see the scenario you described happening. Chloe's had that house since I got her about 6 months ago that's a little scary. Thanks for telling us about it, though. I would have never thought of it or not anytime soon, unless you said something.

Thumper seems to be in good hands and aside from the lobster-claw-for-a-hand thing he's got going on, I think he won't mind it at all once he adjusts.

I have that house for two of my chins. I did glue it down because I saw that they would keep popping their head up through the top and it looked like a dangerous situation. That and a couple of them are crazy and it fell of the shelf and with it being so loosely put together I just didn't want something to happen. I still have the two houses and with them glued down tight I don't have a problem. I am right now getting some more houses of a better design, wood, and construction but I will probably keep them as a secondary hidey house. If your chin loves it and you don't have the money I would just glue that sucker down tight. Otherwise I would buy one from a member here who makes it. Bound to be better than what PetSmart currently sells. (I know, I work there and I buy all my stuff here or at the feedstore, although to give some credit they are trying and getting better products in all the time.)

Ooohhh, I have that hidey house too. I wonder if I use carpenter's glue to keep the wood pieces interlocked if that would make it safer. Maybe you could try that if you want to buy the same house. I always thought it was safe too, but I can definitely see the scenario you described happening. Chloe's had that house since I got her about 6 months ago that's a little scary. Thanks for telling us about it, though. I would have never thought of it or not anytime soon, unless you said something.

Thumper seems to be in good hands and aside from the lobster-claw-for-a-hand thing he's got going on, I think he won't mind it at all once he adjusts.

I did this with Herby's and it has worked like a charm! She loves hers but it was always coming apart because of poor craftsmanship so I glued them together to eliminate them coming apart and she and I are both happy now!

I am just going to get some wood and have my dad build all new ones for all the chins. I don't want the same thing happening again.

Use Elmer's wood glue. It's non-toxic and holds VERY strongly. I use it to make my chinchilla houses and they have not been able to break them apart.

Oh dear...I was looking at that house a few weeks back, when I was thinking of getting Trixie a new house. Almost ordered it, but something made me put off the purchase. Glad I did.

I would personally get a bigger house, they say its for chinchillas but its sort of small even for one chinchilla, let alone 2 trying to use it. I will never again have a superpet hidy house unless I know nothing bad can happen. On the plus side his toe is looking a whole lot better and he seems to be doing fine.

Back