This seems crazy...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamollie.tb

So I'm looking around for a new cage (maybe) and came across this article from a pet store suggesting plastic shelves, cardboard hide boxes and toilet paper tubes to chew on.

Obviously the plastic shelves are ridiculous.... But I have seen people suggesting tp tubes to chew. I've never done it because I don't think we really should deliberately let them eat paper, but I'm curious as to what you all think.

http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/content.jsp?pageName=chinchilla

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

There are actually several things that are bad advice. First, seeds and fruit even dried fruit should not be given even as treats. Also using carefresh can be dangerous if the chin swallows any of it, and newspaper you have to make sure they don't eat and that it's not toxic ink.

It says paper towel rolls not toilet paper tubes (I wouldn't use toilet paper rolls due to what could be on it being so close to the toilet:vomit:), paper towel rolls are ok so long as they don't have glue on them and the chin just chews them not actually eats them. Some chins enjoy tearing apart cardboard, mine like to shred those cardboard parrot bagels,
img-bagelsamplepack.jpg
but don't actually eat/swallow the pieces they rip off. Some chins do swallow it though so they need to be watched and taken away if they do eat it.

I feel the same way about the tp tubes lol. We give them to the gerbils, but I gag thinking about where they've been.
I think I'd be afraid mine would eat the tube. When we adopted our girls they were on Carefresh, but our other chinnie jumped right in and started munching on it, so they were switched to Aspen.

My husky mix LOVES paper towel tubes... I think at this point he's lined his entire create with shredded cardboard. ☺

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back