Thin Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCHIBIkitten

Some of you might remember Max, I got him as a rescue over two years ago. He was found running loose (!) outside. When I got him, he was only about 350 g.

Anywho, long story short, Max has become pretty skinny again. It has been a gradual thing, and it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I noticed how thin he is. I don't have a digital scale on me, but I would put him at under 400 g. He's never been a big chin, but I can clearly feel his ribs.

Now, this is the part that confounds me. I give them fresh food, water, and hay every day, and see him munching on his hay all the time. His poops are normal and in a normal amount, and he's full of energy and always wants out.

He has a cagemate, Taro, but I don't ever see Taro hogging the food or pushing Max away.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on here? Is there some way that I can help him gain back some weight?

Could be anything from teeth issues to parasites; you should invest in a digital scale, that is the best way to catch things early as chins dont often show outward signs of pain etc until whatever it is, is far gone.

If I were you I would get a scale and weigh him and perhaps think about a vet visit. Scales are cheap, you can get them at wal mart or the equivelent.

I'd be getting some lifeline from chocolatechinchillas.com - wonderful stuff and could help!
Read her page on it - it'll describe it all!
Good luck!

I dont know that I would go right to lifeline and no other course. I think she should have it on hand, but that chin probably needs a vet.

Yeah, I'm worried enough to be making a vet appointment this week.

I had a digital scale, but I stepped on it last month. >.<

I'll be sure to get my vet to do a fecal and check his teeth.

Also, forgot to mention. I have some critical care on me, but the probiotic best before was a year ago. Assuming that it's no good to use anymore?

EDIT: Ordered some LifeLine anyway.

Last edited:
So I took him to the vet today, and his fecal/teeth checks were just fine. He seems perfectly healthy.

However, the vet said that he detected a heart murmur (around a level 2-3). I've been reading conflicting opinions on the diagnosis of heart murmurs in chinchillas.. does anyone have advice? I haven't seen any of the symptoms (at all) of congestive heart failure or anything.

Did the vet take x rays? It is impossible to see all of the teeth with out sedation and or x rays, and you cant see if there is anything wrong below the gum line.

I dont know anything about heart murmurs, sorry. Hope he gets better for you!

Its been debated whether you can actually hear a class 2-3, I have a 16.5 year old with a class 3 that two vets hear and one does not. I did have a chin die from congestive heart failure from a class 5-that murmur I could hear with a stethoscope-it sounded like a washing machine. I would not worry about a class 2-3 murmur.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The vet did weigh him, and he's the heaviest he's ever been at any of his vet weigh-ins by a good 50 g. Guess I was just being paranoid after one of my friends (who also owns chins) commented on how light he was. This makes me much less worried about his teeth.

My vet said that he would still do xrays at my request, but he wanted to talk to one of his exotic cardiologists before putting him under.

Echocardiograms are a waste of money on chinchillas, the resolution is not good enough to see anything other than there is a heart.

I have had two chins with class2, One of the new moms has one out for hours on with his little girl friend (he is neutuerd) and he is doing fine. So I wouldn't worry about it much.
She says he does enjoy his freedom quite a bit.

Good info to know, thank you both.

My vet is due to call back today, so I'll let you know how that goes.

507 and that is the heaviest your vet has seen??? I just had a chin visit me while travelling to her new home and she was 1015 grams....

I am not saying that is small, as most of mine are at 600 or so, but that isnt very big.

My Ricky has been around 500g all his life, and doesn't ever get above 520-530g, and he's a healthy little guy, and that weight suits him. I wouldn't say that's a low weight until i've seen how big her chinchilla is.

Like I said, it isnt small just not "big" But I did misread her post, I thought it said that was the biggest her vet had seen. But she said it is the heaviest he has been for her.

I have a range of weights from 520gm to 1210gms, all get the same feed and hay. 507gms would not spook me if he hovers in that range. As long as he eats, drinks and poos I would just get a gram scale and weigh him at home a couple of times a month.

Back