The New Cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

Finally getting around to posting pics (school really cuts into my forum time)! It's far from finished, but here's the new cage so far. I'm going tonight to hopefully buy wood shelves and replace what's in there. I find it really awkward and odd to have 2 shelves that take up half the size of the cage. And I never had a problem with Chia chewing before, but as soon and I put her in this cage she went straight for the plastic. And then the fleece. :hair: She hasn't chewed it much at all, but I've caught her a few times.

IMG_2050.jpg

The top level... I put most of her things in the top for now because I knew she'd like it up there more, she likes to be higher up. I covered the main plastic levels with fleece covers, but I didn't think about the other ones..
IMG_2053.jpg

The very sparse bottom level (for now! planning on ordering more things as soon as I've got spare cash.) I put the litter at the bottom at the same spot she peed before, but she doesn't pee there now, so I'll have to find a new solution.
IMG_2055.jpg

And a cute photo of her sitting pretty. I came into the bedroom to find her looking at me like this.
IMG_2056.jpg

Anyone have suggestions as to what to do about the pee situation? I've found that she just pees everywhere... Is she testing out the corners? I really liked my system before with the pan of wood chips. The way my fleece covers are made make them REALLY hard to take off, so I don't want to be washing them couple days cause of the pee..

Thanks!! I'm really happy with it so far, it's nice to be able to block off the top or bottom to contain the chin in one area as I clean the other. And the wheels! Ah! I just looove this cage!

Looks great! Once you replace the plastic shelves with wood, it will be perfect. I'm not sure how to deal with the peeing everywhere. One of my boys started not using the pee box so I put shavings in the entire bottom level and left fleece up top (he only pees on lower level).

It looks great! I love your choice of fleece, looks so pretty against her white coat. I found the FN shelves to be really awkward too. Once you replace them with wood shelves it will really open up the cage and give her lots of jumping room! As far as the peeing everywhere, I've heard not all chins can be potty trained to use a dish. Did you try to put some soiled shavings in the pan so she gets the idea?

Good luck, and can't wait to see the cage when its all done!

It looks great! I love your choice of fleece, looks so pretty against her white coat. I found the FN shelves to be really awkward too. Once you replace them with wood shelves it will really open up the cage and give her lots of jumping room! As far as the peeing everywhere, I've heard not all chins can be potty trained to use a dish. Did you try to put some soiled shavings in the pan so she gets the idea?

Good luck, and can't wait to see the cage when its all done!

I realised that it's possible she never actually always peed in the old pan. I cleaned all my fleece today from the old cage, and found that there were pee-ish spots. So maybe she never really was as potty trained as I thought, just had less space to pee in lol

And some more photos!! :)

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

I put the wood in the top level, but just after I took this picture, Chia started jumping around and I realised the placement of the tube, attached to the top, was a REALLY bad and loud idea, so I moved it. But it looks cute on the top. Sad.

photo3.jpg

The bottom! I may not replace the pan on the bottom, I actually kind of like it like that. But time will tell, so far this set up works best for me and I think Chia is really enjoying everything!!

Last edited:
I love the picture of her 'sitting pretty.' I don't even bother with shaving pans. To me they're more trouble then they're worth seeing as my chins don't use them. With single chins I only need to wash/change liners once a week.

Yeah, I think I'll take it out. She really doesn't pee in it :( too bad! It's the only downside to the new cage, otherwise it's just amazing!

Back