The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'm gonna leave it in that case because I might get another chin in a year or so.

Question about cages...

I guess I should introduce myself before I go on barging in, lol. But that's the kinda girl I am...For WEEKS I have been trying to figure out which cage to buy and I decided on a FN, but the big one's seem so pricey (i'm cheap, lol). I found a used one, but those things fall through. Do any of you know anyone in Pennsylvania who sells used cages, or someone who sells them and ships? I want a cage, but I want to deck it all out. I furnished my own apartment through frugally, and want to do the same for my chins.

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this.

I am new to the FN club. I finally bought my first one a couple of weeks ago. Here are my pics but I'm going to redo things this weekend.

1006526tn3.jpg

1006527fb1.jpg

I have ordered a bottom pan and plan to hit Home Depot to make more shelves! AND I plan on getting another Chin Spin.

I love your cage setup! I was wondering where you got that bed-looking thing at the front right in the top tier. It would be great for this big gap in my cage, thanks!

I guess I should introduce myself before I go on barging in, lol. But that's the kinda girl I am...For WEEKS I have been trying to figure out which cage to buy and I decided on a FN, but the big one's seem so pricey (i'm cheap, lol). I found a used one, but those things fall through. Do any of you know anyone in Pennsylvania who sells used cages, or someone who sells them and ships? I want a cage, but I want to deck it all out. I furnished my own apartment through frugally, and want to do the same for my chins.

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this.

Look at Craigslist. I have never had any luck, but I know someone who got all 3 of her FNs on craigslist and never paid more than $80 for any of them! She's such the lucky duck!!!

I as well am new here.
So i've been wondering, is it better to have that middle divider thing there for the multi level cage? Is it even possible to take it out?
Im planning on buying some more cage accessories so i want to move some things around.
Any suggestions?

I as well am new here.
So i've been wondering, is it better to have that middle divider thing there for the multi level cage? Is it even possible to take it out?
Im planning on buying some more cage accessories so i want to move some things around.
Any suggestions?

Some leave the middle level in, and some take it out. I left it in just to give some more "floor" area. If you do take it out, you need to have hammocks or something like that to catch a chin that might miss on a jump so it does not fall all the way to the bottom.

We joined the FN club today!

5358471921_5f30808cf2.jpg

Please ignore the mess at the bottom, I still need to get bins to store things underneath.

I as well am new here.
Any suggestions?

I've got one cage that is set up without the middle divider. I've made sure they have several levels that they can jump off without falling straight down if they were at the top.

16a77750.jpg

I've got one cage that is set up without the middle divider. I've made sure they have several levels that they can jump off without falling straight down if they were at the top.

Thanks Sandi.
Have you noticed a difference in poop distribution (does it fly further) without the middle level? or in cage shaking noise?

Thanks Sandi.
Have you noticed a difference in poop distribution (does it fly further) without the middle level? or in cage shaking noise?

I don't really see a difference with the amount and "distance" of the poop outside of their cage vs. the other cages. As far as shaking noise, I do hear and see it but I know it comes from when they land on the fleece covered plastic shelves. I think if it were all wood shelves/ledges instead of plastic, there would be less movement and noise.

@ Apples - I keep mine devided and one great advantage is that I can cover the hole between the levels to keep the boys on one level while I clean the other level - it makes cage cleaning so much easier when I don't tneed to worry about where the boys are or setting up the play pen and then realizing that I left sothing I need to clean on the other side of the play pen...

Ok, so I have a question and I don't want to make a new post and admittedly, I have not read every page of this thread. It's not specifically about the FN, but the CN actually.

I want to get Chloe a new temp cage for weekends home and vacations etc. that has no plastic in it, so I was looking into single unit FNs and CNs. Petsmart sells the CN single for $150 with shipping which is the cheapest I could find a single unit CN or FN anywhere. Do the bass pans fit in the CN? I noticed it's one inch narrower than the FN but the pans are 22 5/8" so I thought it may fit, but not sure.Thanks guys!!

Yes, the same pans fit the CN.

Oh, awesome. Thank you! Metal pans are dang expensive!! I'm assuming the bass ones are the cheapest. I looked around a little and nothing seemed cheaper. With shipping it's $45 for just the bottom pan.

I wish I wasn't such a cheapo before and took the time to buy a more durable, better temp cage for Chloe when I first got her instead of buying multiple ones now. Oh well, live and learn.

Ok, so I have a question and I don't want to make a new post and admittedly, I have not read every page of this thread. It's not specifically about the FN, but the CN actually.

Quality cage sells a collapsible "travel cage" that is really easy to set up and transport. It is only about 2'x1.5'x1.5', but it is plenty big for a weekend residence. I wouldn't put a wheel in it, but it can handle a couple of shelves.

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643

I actually keep it in the back of my SUV for when I go home. I just throw a piece of fleece in the bottom.

Quality cage sells a collapsible "travel cage" that is really easy to set up and transport. It is only about 2'x1.5'x1.5', but it is plenty big for a weekend residence. I wouldn't put a wheel in it, but it can handle a couple of shelves.

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643

I actually keep it in the back of my SUV for when I go home. I just throw a piece of fleece in the bottom.

Ohhh...now you've got me thinking. That does look good. I'm going away for a week in spring and I'm concerned without her wheel, she'll get too antsy wherever she boards. She was without a wheel for a week when I was home for winter break but she drove me insane, so when I went back to my apartment for a day I took it out of her regular cage, though the noise the wheel made drove me equally insane. Now I'm looking at the condo at QC and if shipping isn't horrible I could save some money since the single CN or FN with pan would be $200.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I think I've officially got this thread off topic so I'll stop now. :)

Back