The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined the club but my chinchilla seems completely unhappy to be in her new home...she keeps trying to fit her head in and scratching at it looking angry. I moved all her old stuff in there as best I could to resemble her old cage. She still wants out though and it makes me sad. Should I not have just switched her over immediately? Also, I changed her from a pan of shavings at the bottom with her old house to just fleece, with a pan of shavings where she use to pee in the older cage. She always peed while on her mesh wheel. Now she has a big 15 inch wheel from forchinate chins and the pan.

I agree, my youngest chin was insane for the first few hours, but now he can't get enough!

did u all get all the wooden ledges and stuff at once or did u slowely upgrade it?
also where do you get the wooden shelves?

Some people will get it done all at once and some will slowly add more in time. You can easily make shelves yourself, there is a how-to thread in this section. Also, you can purchase shelves from members here as well, they are listed in the chin supplies for sale section of the classifieds,

Some people will get it done all at once and some will slowly add more in time. You can easily make shelves yourself, there is a how-to thread in this section. Also, you can purchase shelves from members here as well, they are listed in the chin supplies for sale section of the classifieds,

did u all get all the wooden ledges and stuff at once or did u slowely upgrade it?
also where do you get the wooden shelves?

I got a bunch of stuff the first time. Just to make it more like home, but I am adding a lot, too. I just got a chin spin a few days ago for my boys. They love it!!!

I got all my ledges from Quality Mutation Chinchillas, but I've heard it's easy to make your own.

Hey I think I heard someone on here covered the original FN shelves with fleece. Anyone have instructions or pictures to do that? I'm putting a chin in the bottom half of my FN for the first time and I don't have enough wood shelves yet to fill it up.

Hey I think I heard someone on here covered the original FN shelves with fleece. Anyone have instructions or pictures to do that? I'm putting a chin in the bottom half of my FN for the first time and I don't have enough wood shelves yet to fill it up.

I have no idea about the sewing, but I know you can buy fleece covers for the FN shelves at Quality Mutation Chinchillas.

http://qualitymutationchinchillas.com/yourchinstoregalore/fleeceitems.html

Looks like the measurements are 23"x17"

Okay, a couple of questions.

1) My husband and I are arguing over whether 3 chins can fit into one level of these cages if you separate the double unit into two cages. I truly don't think if would be fair to cram them all in to just half of the cage. He thinks I am being overly concerned, so I told him I'd ask for a 3rd party opinion!!! What do you think?

2)I have been considering adding a 143 on top of the 142 like Essentia pictured in hers. My concern is that I'm 5'4'' and that seems pretty darn tall. What are people's experience with this? Is a step ladder needed? (I would assume) and how annoying is it to clean way up there? I would feel like my chinnie would be neglected (maybe I'll make my 6'3'' hubby be in charge of that section, lol?)

Okay, a couple of questions.

1) My husband and I are arguing over whether 3 chins can fit into one level of these cages if you separate the double unit into two cages. I truly don't think if would be fair to cram them all in to just half of the cage. He thinks I am being overly concerned, so I told him I'd ask for a 3rd party opinion!!! What do you think?

2)I have been considering adding a 143 on top of the 142 like Essentia pictured in hers. My concern is that I'm 5'4'' and that seems pretty darn tall. What are people's experience with this? Is a step ladder needed? (I would assume) and how annoying is it to clean way up there? I would feel like my chinnie would be neglected (maybe I'll make my 6'3'' hubby be in charge of that section, lol?)

I'd say only put 2 chins in the split FN. I have a trio in one right now (was considering the same thing you are), two if them are young and small so it's not so bad, but it does seemed cramped. I give them a lot of playtime to try and make up for it.

If you add the 143 it would be pretty tall. I'm 5'11'' and just the 142 can be a stretch, lol. I keep some stuff on top of the cage (nothing chewable or dangerous of course) so I clean up there pretty often and getting to the back is kind of hard. I usually just pull it out and clean all the way around, easier then trying to reach to the back. I'm sure a step stool would be needed, or at least convenient. It'd be interesting trying to grab a running chin when you can't even see on the higher levels, lol.

I was thinking of just buying an FN... 141..? (common sense tells me that's what it's called) for my lone chin and removing the middle of the FN 142 I have so my trio can have the whole cage. To me it seems like a more practical solution then doing the 143. It's just too big IMO.

Kaiya, it seems we agree!! And also, you guessed right on it being FN141. If it was me, even though I only had one chinnie, I'd just get the 142... the price difference isn't huge, your chinnie could have a whole mansion and then if you ever decided to get another chinnie, you would be all set!!!

See.... I'm helpful/ a troublemaker!

The only ferret nation for sale near me is $75 but it comes with 2 ferrets. :(

The only ferret nation for sale near me is $75 but it comes with 2 ferrets. :(

same here :banghead: but its $400 instead of $75.
at first i thought it was my friends ferrets cuz shes selling hers and she has a ferret nation cage. but nope its not, dont reconize the one holding them and they r both males and hers were girls. but they do look like hers... :hmm:

Just as an FYI, for anyone thinking of the 143, it is easily doable if you take the bottom shelf off. I'm 5'8" and I can reach the top cage perfectly fine.

Back