Terracotta?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRG7

Is terracotta safe for chins? I have read some places that it is, but then read about concerns of the chins chewing on it. Does anyone have answers to this? I have a smaller terracotta pot that once had a plant in it. I'm wondering if this would be okay as an addition in my boy's cage, or if I should just skip the idea.

Lots of people use terracotta pots for hay holders. As far as I know they're safe.

Was the plant exposed to any chemicals through the fertilizer or soil? If so, it may not be the best idea. But terra cotta pots are pretty cheap.

I would use a brand new pot if you're going to use terra cotta. You never know what leeches out from the soil that you've used.

I use them in over 100 of my cages...they make a great perch for chins to get on top of and inside. Definitely get new pots....sometimes you can find them for very good prices at maybe $1 to $2, it's a lot cheaper than perches from petstores!

I've seen terra cotta pots in natural and dyed colors on chinchilla supply sites. I wondered if they actually chew them or just enjoy them as an obstacle.

Unless you get the really cheap stuff that hardly grows anything potting soil contains fertilizers and possibly other chemicals for things like fungus. It might leak in to pots of that material and some of it might not be safe.

Thank you all for the input! I'll skip using the used pot. I'm pretty sure it was one that had a plastic holder inside of it that the plant was actually in, but I can't remember. I'll just pick up some new ones if I decide to add them to his house.

Back