Temperature

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott86

No heat for the night! My house is currently 58 and probably will not go down lower than 55 hopefully! Ran out of oil. OK temperature for my little guy?

Very young chins/baby's don't handle very cold temps well but an adult should be able to handle slightly colder temps as far as I know, I personally would not let temps go below 60 for my guys hope fully some one with a bit more knowledge on cold temps can jump on here.

How "little" are we talking? 58 isn't super low, my barn during the winter is usually around 55, just make sure that you have a house for him to go into and that will help him stay warm. If you have fleece hammocks or a bag, put that in there as well. You can also help by covering 3 sides of the cage.

Space heaters aren't very expensive. Check a Wal-Mart and see what's available in your area. It's always good to have a back up.

Well hes five so hes not young. Yes ive got fleece hammock, house, and tube for him. If hes cold He will know enough to try and get warm by hanging out on the fleece? Currently in a cast and crutches lol so definately cannot get a space heater at this time of night.

He should be fine. He's not a little baby who has to worry so much about maintaining body temp. 55 is fine for an adult, as long as he's not in a draft.

Back