Teeth Trimming After care????

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I am a new here.

My chinchilla (Chyen-Chyen) is 5 years old. I've noticed he was drooling a few days, was bleeding a little, and his breath smelled like old apple. I took him to the vet and she was able to fix his front teeth that were bothering him. She said his mouth was pretty bad due to his teeth hurting the inside of his cheeks and she also gave him some antibiotics and pain medications to use. He's in good spirits and is eating fine now, yaay! He's never had this issue before, maybe I need to give him better things to chew on? Has anyone had any past experience with having to have their chinchilla teeth filled down (or spurts removed) and did something to prevent this from happening again? I don’t want him to have more teeth problems in the future and it wasn’t problematic in the roots. Could this have been prevented?

Thank you so much!
:wave3:

If the teeth were hurting the cheeks, the incisor trim is not going to address that, the chin needs a cheek teeth trim which means the chin needs to be put under anaestheia for that procedure. Also since there is bad breath and bleeding the chin should have a complete periodontal exam and cleaning during the same time being put under, along with x-rays. Without the whole picture you will not know if its preventable or chronic.

If the teeth were hurting the cheeks, the incisor trim is not going to address that, the chin needs a cheek teeth trim which means the chin needs to be put under anaestheia for that procedure. Also since there is bad breath and bleeding the chin should have a complete periodontal exam and cleaning during the same time being put under, along with x-rays. Without the whole picture you will not know if its preventable or chronic.

Thank you for that useful information. Not to be rude, but I wasn't asking all that. My vet is an expert when it comes to exotic pets and she did everything you just described and more. She told me that his top teeth were too long and starting to affect his cheeks and tongue too. She went into detail and things like that and told me to let him take his meds for the next ten days. Time will really tell too if I have to take him in to get his teeth down for every six weeks. What I am asking is that, for people who have had their chin's teeth done, did you do anything different than what you have done before and did it do anything? Did you have that problem again? I admit, I don't think I gave my chin too many options of toys to chew on to wear his teeth down. You know?

If you understand how chin teeth "work" you would know that if the incisors were overgrown the cheek teeth overgrow also, overgrown incisors do not allow the mouth to close, the cheek teeth overgrow since they have nothing to oppose them to keep them in check. The only way the tongue and cheeks can be affected is the cheek teeth are rubbing on them. As far as your question, you will not know if the issue is chronic, until the chin needs another filing, some chins can go 6 weeks some chins go a couple of years with incisor issues, and you do not know if you will have malocclusion eventually due to the incisor issues. Once chins have teeth issues in my experience the chin will always have teeth issues, and just to let you know I have dealt with just about every teeth issue a chinchilla can have and have done just about every treatment possible over the 10 years I have had chins and the many many malo and dental chins I have had, and to be frank with you, if you vet has all that knowledge, the vet should have answered your questions about after care.

Typically, chisels grow when the cheek teeth (molars and premolars) grow - hooks and overgrown crowns so long chisels that's a consequence. After pruning hooks is recommended to lubricate the mouth analgesic and antibacterial ointment. And regularly go for a vet.

Provide a lot of different types of wood..which you can order from some members on here much cheaper than in stores. Also, unlimited hay will help grind down the teeth. What do you provide currently? Its good to know so we can make suggestions

Unfortunately vets aren't always as honest about teeth issues as they should be. The chances of it being the one and only teeth trim is very very low. Be preapred to have high vet bills in the coming years.

The fact that you came on here shows your a kind and caring chin owner so I am sure your invested in your chins health. We are just trying to prepare you is all. Ticklechin is right..chins can't get their "cheeck teeth" trimmed unless under anesthesia so it would probably be a good idea to explore that with the vet.

Last edited:
Not to be rude, but I wasn't asking all that. My vet is an expert when it comes to exotic pets and she did everything you just described and more.
To be fair, you asked for people with experience of dental issues to give you some advice; which is what Dawn did. We do not know how much you know about tooth problems so Dawn was kindly filling in any gaps.

I have to ask, did your expert vet examine the chin's mouth whilst under anaesthetic, burr the incisors & do xrays? Did she do any work on the chin's molars? Have you seen the xrays?

What you are describing are classic signs of dental problems & you may well find that the chin is unable to eat properly after having burring (because his mouth is painful & also because he may well have cheek ulcers) - you may have to help him eat. Do you have syringe food available to feed him? Did the vet give you probiotics alongside the antibiotics?
Depending on the type of antibiotic used, the chin may well go off his food too. Some antibiotics taste foul, some mess with the gut flora etc.
Can you tell us what pain relief & antibiotics your chin is on?

What I am asking is that, for people who have had their chin's teeth done, did you do anything different than what you have done before and did it do anything? Did you have that problem again? I admit, I don't think I gave my chin too many options of toys to chew on to wear his teeth down. You know?
I am afraid you cannot cure malocclusion. All you can do is manage it. There are some internet claims about being able to cure malocclusion but their 'work' is not proven &, frankly, raises false hope. Management of an issue is not a cure - the result is the same, sadly. The chin needs to be PTS or dies through complications of malnutrition.
Plenty of wooden toys to chew, plenty of tough, fibrous hay to chew, careful observation to spot the signs of tooth pain, appropriate veterinary treatment (burring, pain relief, antibiotics if necessary, repeat xrays), & a dignified & peaceful ending when appropriate is the course of action for malocclusion in chinchillas.

Back