Teeth Problems.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lizz

My chinchilla just had his teeth filed down today, because they grew really long and he started drooling. This is the second time his teeth needed to be trimmed. I have given him multiple chew treats, blocks, and other things to file his teeth but they still grew really long. Is there something else I should be doing? Or does this happen a lot?
Also, his chin/belly area is completely covered in drool and is discolored and smelly. How do I clean him/get the drool out?
Thanks!

Id say just find a type of chew he really enjoys
Apple wood seems to be a favorite
My chinny personally goes crazy for any variety chew toys with multiple types of wood on one toy
If not he may just need to continue to get them filed... I dont know about the drool sorry

My chinchilla just had his teeth filed down today, because they grew really long and he started drooling. This is the second time his teeth needed to be trimmed. I have given him multiple chew treats, blocks, and other things to file his teeth but they still grew really long. Is there something else I should be doing? Or does this happen a lot?
Also, his chin/belly area is completely covered in drool and is discolored and smelly. How do I clean him/get the drool out?
Thanks!

Has your vet taken head xrays of your chin? Drooling is a sign of malo and a lot of drool means your chin is in pain. Is your chin on any pain meds? Does he actually chew the treats/blocks? Is he eating on his own or are you hand feeding him? I suggest you take your chin back to the vet or find a new one.

ETA: as far as cleaning up the drool, wipe the area of drool down with a warm moist towel and then dry him up completely and then offer him a few dust baths.

Last edited:
When you say filed, do you mean just the front teeth or was the chin put under and the rear teeth were filed also? Overgrown teeth are usually a result of malo, the teeth cause pain, the chin stops chewing, the teeth overgrow from non-use.

He just had his front teeth filed, and the vet checked his back teeth and they were fine. There is no vet anywhere near me that can do x-rays (because my current vet doesn't do x-rays). The vet suggested that if it happens again, the front teeth could be removed. Is this a good idea? And should I ask about medication for pain? When his teeth are trimmed down he eats fine and chews on his treats, so he doesnt appear to be in pain.

Front incisor trims are no real big deal, rarely do they cause any pain, the chin may not eat for a couple of days since the "bite" is so different. If you have not tried apple twigs I would try those, most chins think they are the cats meow.

I would not remove the incisors for that reason, the trim should take a vet tech a couple of minutes and since the chin does not need to be put under I would just have it done when needed.

Last edited:
He does have to be put under to trim the front teeth, I guess he wouldn't hold still long enough to get them trimmed. His teeth seems to grow very fast, so its getting costly.

A member here I think had the incisors removed, I don't know the outcome so you might PM her since she does not come on here often. Its a tough call, the couple I have had to have it done they did not have to be put under. The members name is Aimee & The Chinette's, see if she followed through.

He just had his front teeth filed, and the vet checked his back teeth and they were fine. There is no vet anywhere near me that can do x-rays (because my current vet doesn't do x-rays). The vet suggested that if it happens again, the front teeth could be removed. Is this a good idea? And should I ask about medication for pain? When his teeth are trimmed down he eats fine and chews on his treats, so he doesnt appear to be in pain.

I personally WOULD NOT have the incisors removed unless you KNOW her molars are normal & can get x-rays to KNOW that there isn't root elongation.

I just had the incisors removed on one of my girls & was reassured that her roots weren't "bad" well, long & emotional story short, I had to put her to sleep a few weeks ago.

Not only were her roots elongated BUT the way chins lips fall over where their bottom teeth grow out it is a cesspool for germs & infection, after 2 rounds of antibiotics it still didn't clear up...

I am so sorry for your loss! And thank you for the advice.

I hope that his tooth problems clear up because it has been worrying me for a while. And the vet also said that he only has one bottom tooth, and that the other one never grew in? could this be part of the reason he drools too?

The tooth could have broke and more than likely the "root" is still there and could grow back. Sadly a good amount of tooth issues don't resolve themselves and ongoing treatment needs to happen until quality of life slips.

I am so sorry for your loss! And thank you for the advice.

I hope that his tooth problems clear up because it has been worrying me for a while. And the vet also said that he only has one bottom tooth, and that the other one never grew in? could this be part of the reason he drools too?

Lily NEVER drooled so I do not have experience with drooling, but if your baby is "pouting" they are in pain. I had Lily on Metacam for pain.

Here is the picture of Lily's removed incisors...

P2240638.jpg

The short one was not broken, that was the full length of that tooth...

I believe your chin IS in pain with all the drool that you have described. At least get him some pain meds until you search for another vet. :(

I agree. This chin absolutely needs xrays. Neither you, nor your vet, have any idea what you are dealing with without them.

I agree with everything said here...I have a chin that has on going tooth problems and I can tell you that the drooling and the smell ( at least with Herby ) meant there was an infection. It took many rounds of antibiotics and a few months of hand feeding to get her well again and the vet told me that of the last filing she had, that her teeth would need to be filed every 4 weeks. I got lucky on the few follow up visits in that she did not need any trimmings. Like yours, my Herby needs to be put under and it takes her longer and longer to bounce back from each round of anesthetic. Tooth problems in chins never clear up, though they may lie dormant for periods of time and they can get very expensive with the vet visits, meds and such. You need to find a vet that does Xrays and get them done ASAP because death by malocclusion is a very painful and horrible way to die. And I can also guarantee that she is in pain, but being a chinchilla she is more than likely hiding it, like they are famous for doing. I would definitely look at getting some pain meds and finding another vet more knowledgeable in chins.

Best of luck to you and your chinny though!

Back