TEA TREE CREAM for fungal????

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsnation

I am pretty new to the hedggie side of the forum but have been doing some research and have found a lot of conflicting info on TEA TREE CREAM for the use of treating fungal infections and mites. I wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

tea tree oil is dangrous if used on hedgies and should NOT be used on them for anything...

I have a fungal infection on my hand, took 3 weeks and a biopsy to diagnose. I wouldn't self treat myself or any animals for this, let a vet, dr. treat, or it can get really bad.

I read to never ever use tea tree oil for a hedgehog- even shampoo can kill them.

I met a girl who killed her hedgehog of six years with accidental use of a lotion containing tea tree oil. After hearing her say how easily her pet died due to the tea tree, I stay as far away from it as possible.

Forgot to clarify- somehow the hedgie anointed with it and that is what her vet concluded killed him.

Last edited:
European hedgehogs are much larger than and not the same species as African Pygmy hedgehogs. Tea Tree oil is not only toxic to hedgehogs, it's toxic to cats, dogs, ferrets and rabbits.

There's been numerous instances of hedgehogs died after being treated with Tea Tree. We can't go by what is recommended for European hedgehogs because even though they are hedgehogs, they are not the same. Many European websites used to recommend tea tree but now many of them are no longer using it because of the potential risk.

There are also a few sites over here that recommend Tea Tree for use on our guys but the information is WRONG and DANGEROUS. Never use tea tree or anything containing tea tree.

If you read the FAQ's, Things dangerous to hedgehogs, you will see that tea tree anything should never be used.

European hedgehogs are much larger than and not the same species as African Pygmy hedgehogs. Tea Tree oil is not only toxic to hedgehogs, it's toxic to cats, dogs, ferrets and rabbits.
Add rats to that list.

There's been numerous instances of hedgehogs died after being treated with Tea Tree. We can't go by what is recommended for European hedgehogs because even though they are hedgehogs, they are not the same. Many European websites used to recommend tea tree but now many of them are no longer using it because of the potential risk.

There are also a few sites over here that recommend Tea Tree for use on our guys but the information is WRONG and DANGEROUS. Never use tea tree or anything containing tea tree.

If you read the FAQ's, Things dangerous to hedgehogs, you will see that tea tree anything should never be used.

hmmmm, very interesting. Is tea ok for hedgehogs? I've had other breeders suggest chamomile tea to add to the formula when hand feeding babies. Could that possibly be toxic?

hmmmm, very interesting. Is tea ok for hedgehogs? I've had other breeders suggest chamomile tea to add to the formula when hand feeding babies. Could that possibly be toxic?

There is a difference between "tea tree oil", "tea" and "chamomile tea".

Chamomile/mint teas are made ONLY from herbs and have no caffeine. Totally safe.

Tea is made from tea leaves and has caffeine. Not safe at all.

Tea Tree Oil is technically oil of melaleuka and has nothing to do with tea.

I have seen it recomended, at least on the other board, don't remember if here, that cammomile and mint were ok. I don't know about any others.

There is a difference between "tea tree oil", "tea" and "chamomile tea".

Chamomile/mint teas are made ONLY from herbs and have no caffeine. Totally safe.

Tea is made from tea leaves and has caffeine. Not safe at all.

Tea Tree Oil is technically oil of melaleuka and has nothing to do with tea.

Alright, thanks HM :)

Back