Take a look at this chin cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as i see from the photos the wood is treated from the inside as well lol...
That's good, it keeps it from staining. The chewable surfaces are not stained, and all-in-all looks like something I'd love to have in my house. Wish I were that good of a builder! I'd love to retrofit an old entertainment center to be a chin lodge. It's hard to find solid wood ones for cheap though.

That's good, it keeps it from staining. The chewable surfaces are not stained, and all-in-all looks like something I'd love to have in my house. Wish I were that good of a builder! I'd love to retrofit an old entertainment center to be a chin lodge. It's hard to find solid wood ones for cheap though.

With the advent of these huge flat screen TVs you can pick up some very nice entertainment armours for only a few hundred dollars. I say that tearfully because I have a gorgeous cherry armour that cost well over $1000 and is to small for our flat screen tv, which was given to us and now sits in my husband's mancave. So we have the 30" tv in it not the big one.
Anyhow, you could pick up a very nice armour for a few hundred on craigslist and retrofit it.

I like how it looks, just a few things I would like to say;

- ramps? Chins don't need ramps! they hop and jump like crazy for a reason!

- screws! screws everywhere! Ok, they are sunken in (or however you say that in english, hope you understand me) but once they start nibbling the wood they will get to them fast. Glue > screws

- mesh wire? That's nice for a cage for young chins, older chins i would prefer bars. Why not the wire? When you have direct lighting on it, it makes the metal reflect it and it makes it a pain to look trough. If I would buy a cage like that I would change it (or partially at least) with glass or even plexi glass.

- thin backside board. Can't say thgis otherwise but pics show the backside of that cage is pretty thin, and allthough its flat and even and you may think your chins won't chew it, they will find a way. Once they do, they will chew a hole big enough to squeeze through in a matter of hours :)

All in all I really like the look of it, and its nicely made, but I am sure it would be a better idea to just go and buy a secondhand closet and turn it into a cage yourself. All it takes is to find a closet, remove the door panels, put something in place (plexi/glass/...) and hang some shelves, wich is easy to do. At that point you have full controll over the used products (and avoid toxic stuff), you can use glue AND most important you can decorate however you want to.

You could not take a cage like that and put glass or plexi in it...the only issue I really see with it is I don't like the lack of air circulation in it.

Hence my original comment about saying Hmmmm. It does have possiblilities but I do see that modifications would need to be made.

Very cool! I'm not too far from this person either. I think, though, I like my cage better, so I can see my chin where ever she may be inside of it. It does have a nice appeal to it, though.

You could not take a cage like that and put glass or plexi in it...the only issue I really see with it is I don't like the lack of air circulation in it.

Why not? Perfectly possible... Ofcourse you would need to make a few "windows" in the sides, and cover those with wire. Your chins have circulation and your cage gets a less "closet" look

Back