SweetPea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scrat&SweetPea

is acting weired. a couple times now i've found her just laying belly down in her wheel and she stays there for a while until i pick her up does anyone have an idea what is up with her? i've only found her doing this 2 times. it's really weired. other than that she seems fine she's taking her meds good she's pooping good eating her food good drinking.

Well, you IMed me about two weeks or so ago saying she was acting funny. If i were you i would take her in.

What meds is she taking & why?

The fact that scrat died would have me terrified for her health & safety. I would get her into the vet (or back) asap!

Definitely take her back to the vet Amanda. Sounds like something isn't right so having the vet look at her again would be a good idea.

Amanda, what is Sweetpea being treated for? If she is still acting funny, I'd take her to the vet just in case whatever she has isn't getting worse. Also if you don't mind, what did Scrat die from? Is it possible he had something contagious that she now has too?

this is what SweetPea is on enrofloxacin .1mls twice daily bene-bac pet gel pea size amount twice daily clavamox liquid .3mls twice daily all for ten days and why she has greenish poop and is not eating much but is moving around fine and seems normal besides that. she isn't in anyway preganat. but i'm not sure about myself lol. and we don't know what Scrat died from.

Call your vet and give him/her an update on Sweetpea's progress. It doesn't sound like she is improving to me and with the new behavior it sounds like she is feeling worse. Keep in mind hedgehogs hide illness. She may act fine and not be feeling well at all. How is her weight? Are her symptoms anywhere close to Scrat's? I'm very concerned that what he died from she may have.

her weight was 292grams i don't know what it is now. i'll call the vet and see what they say. her symptoms now are nothing like Scrat's the doc was a little worried of putting her on all the meds at once. she didn't say why thought. we are changing vets after this.

Watch her weight Amanda. If she is losing weight it is a very strong indicator that she is going down hill. If she isn't eating well, I have a strong feeling it is dropping and you may need to syringe feed her.

Also, are you giving the antibiotics and bene-bac at the same time? If so stop. Bene-bac must be given between the antibiotic doses. Otherwise the antibiotic kills it.

the vet told me to give it all together ok i'll give the bene-bac bewteen the antibiotices

Because Scrat was sick and died and SweetPea is now sick too, I think it safe to assume that she has what he had and needs to be monitored very closely and go back to the vet.

Don't assume her green poop is being caused medications, it could be illness related as well. Exactly how many kibble has she eaten each day over the past week? Is it going down? Any decrease in food intake means she is feeling worse. She also should be weighed morning and night to see if her weight is going down.

Because hedgehogs hide their illness so well, we have to closely monitor them while they are sick. Food intake, weight and urine and poo output needs to be written down to keep track.

She posted on CnQ before it went down that Scrat had greenish blue poop and needing to know what it was and then he died within the week.

this is what SweetPea is on enrofloxacin .1mls twice daily bene-bac pet gel pea size amount twice daily clavamox liquid .3mls twice daily all for ten days and why she has greenish poop and is not eating much but is moving around fine and seems normal besides that. she isn't in anyway preganat. but i'm not sure about myself lol. and we don't know what Scrat died from.

If im not mistaken, i thought Scrat was also being treated for something around the time of his passing? What was he being treated for? I recall you mentioning they were kept in the same room. Its very possible whatever he had SHE has. vet, vet, vet or you might end up with two empty cages!

i talked to the vet they said to take a stool in wed and have it tested. Scrat had been seen by the vet in june of 2008 he had no probs up until the week of his death. and knowone knows what he died of. they were in the same cage. i am getting SweetPea looked at the vet said that if the stool shows anything that we will have to bring her in. she has been peeing fine. don't worry guys she is in good hands. she won't die we are finding out what is wrong. i honestly don't have the money for a scale. we are putting all the vet cost on our cc.

If she was in the same cage as scrat, then there is a very good chance that she has what he did. She could also be pregnant, if they were housed together.

Back