Surprise baby plz Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilanniesmommy

I purchase Lucy on March 2,2014, (two months ago) they said she was approximatly 9 months old. This morning 8:17 am I heard a squeak, looked and sure enough there is 1 baby with her. The baby still looked wet. We lowered all the shelves and removed the wheel. My question is right now I am sick, running a fever and coughing, how far away from them should I be? They arent completely used to us yet, just recently came out of quarantine. I am the one who does all the feeding and cleaning, so they arent that used to my husband. He does talk to her and give her treats every now and then.If he tries to weigh the baby will it stress the momma to much? Thank you for your help in advance.:)

In addition to what Cathy said, you might consider removing the shelves completely for a while. It won't take long for the little one to get up there, but for now, mom needs to be with her kit so the kit gets all the nutrition she needs.

Thank you for your advice! The cage we have is home made and it is 1/2 x 1 wire so were good to go on that. My husband weighed her and she is 40 grams. We were really worried about the mom she didnt once eat or drink until approximately 7:20 that evening. So far everyone is doing good. We think it is a girl, will have to check again later.

It does happen that the first day of birth the mom will restrain from drinking and eating for some time to care for the little one. This said, from 7:20 PM on, it is important that she keeps drinking and eating for her to produce milk.
Always weigh the kit at the same time.

UPDATE: So far everyone is doing good! Mom is eating and baby Sophie is growing. She weighed 60grams on June 4th. She is exploring and looking cute as can be. Do I need to get anything for the baby? Never had a chin baby before first time chin grandma.:):thumbsup::

Last edited:
All that needs done is to make sure that it keeps gaining weight. If it does, mom is doing her job and you need only to enjoy the moments.

Back