Supplement hays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

For some reason I can't use the search and I went back quite a few pages, but excuse me if this question has been asked,
But is supplementing (Of course not replacing daily timothy hay) orchard grass, botanical hay, bermuda grass, or brome grass okay?
I hadn't thought about it when I gave them some orchard grass and they loved it.

But I just want to be sure :)

Yeah, some people feed timothy hay then once a week give them a different kind just as a kinda treat.

Yes it is. Lots of people switch it up a bit to give a bit more variety.

I use burmuda on a regular basis to give the chins something to chew and throw around. I've given out the orchard grass before, but they didn't like it as much as the burmuda and timothy. Some nights I give out burmuda instead of timothy. :)

I've tried to give my chin supplements of Orchard grass and botanical and she won't take anything but timothy hay. So some chins really appreciate the variety, and some, like mine, are stuck to one particular kind.

It isn't that she's stuck only liking Timothy. It's that she's spoiled getting the timothy! Timothy hay, I believe, is sweeter and more fun for them to munch. Once they've had it it can be hard for them to want to eat the other hays that aren't as delicious and fun.

With my chins I tell them that they need to like their burmuda and that's that. My chins aren't allowed to be spoiled. :) It's either a burmuda night or a timothy night, nothing they do will change that. Although in the cages with babies I always give them timothy because I want them to get as much good hay in their tummies as they will eat...babies need to get that good fiber from the hay and do a lot of chewing.

Back